Advice & Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmac

A friend of mine wants me to make a pen for her mother from one of the shell casings from her fathers military funeral. I have done this several times with no problem, but this casing is a lot smaller than the norm. I have some ideas, but the tip has me stumped. I haven't seen any pen kits with tips as small as this casings neck.

I have added a picture with the approximate sizes. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

I would get a small length of 360 brass and make a nib . The brass can easily be turned with normal turning tools on a wood lathe . You just need a chuck of some kind to hold the brass rod on the headstock and a drill chuck for your tailstock

workinforwood

Figure out what kind of casing it is and then you can search for a bullet to use as a nib. Try for a hollow point. Open the back of the bullet and then heat it with a torch until the lead falls out. With a drill bit barely larger than the refill tip, drill the hollow point, then press the bullet into the casing with your pen press or drill press.

KenV

Looks like the military blank version of the 223 Rem that fits the M-16

There are some who sell brass kits who can probably fix you up with a bullet for the nib

I like the brass bullets drilled out for ball points - and use the 7mm fittings.

Sylvanite

I agree that it looks like a blank for 5.56 NATO (a.k.a. 223 Remington). What does the headstamp say?

My inclination would be to trim and resize the brass to 5.56 NATO dimensions and use a .224 diameter (yes, 223 Rem uses a bullet 0.224" in diameter) bullet drilled out for a Cross-style refill as the nib. You could use a slimline kit slightly modified because the cartridge is shorter than the stock slimline lower section.

If you need help assembling the cartridge, let me know. I should be able to put together a 223 round for you.

Regards,
Eric

bmac

Thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. I was thinking it was about the size of the 223 Rim, but wasn't sure. The markings on the rim are un-readable. Several co-workers are big time hunters so I'm pretty sure I can get a bullet from one of them.

Again, thanks for the help and advice.

Bobby
Louisiana

Sylvanite

The markings on the rim are un-readable. Several co-workers are big time hunters so I'm pretty sure I can get a bullet from one of them.
Commercial 223 Remington brass typically has a headstamp of "223 REM" and the initials of the manufacturer. Military 5.56 NATO brass typically has the initials of the manufacturer/arsenal and the year made. It often also has a cross inside a circle (the NATO emblem). Some examples are:
"223 REM / R P" - 223 brass made by Remington (Remington/Peters)
"223 REM / F C" - 223 brass made by Federal (Federal Commercial)
"L C / 6 3" - 5.56 NATO brass made by Lake City (for the US Armed Forces) in 1963
"IMI (or TZ) / 8 2" 5.56 NATO brass made by Israeli Mility Industries in 1982

223 REM is not a popular hunting caliber. It's too small for deer, and not flat-shooting/fast enough for varmints. Your hunter friends might not shoot it. It is a popular fun caliber though, so good luck. In addition to drilling the bullet, you will probably also want to trim the brass. The neck on a regular case is shorter than neck on a blank.

On a whim, I drilled out some Sierra Matchking .224 62g HPBT bullets I had laying around, so it certainly can be done. I also checked to make sure I still had a trimmer and sizing die for 223 REM (I used to reload that caliber et. al.). I haven't ever made a pen from a 5.56/223 case, but I don't see any problem with it.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom