Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gersh

I've got someone looking for a high end pen and pencil set with a quality box that can be engraved. Currently I was thinking about offering him 2 options either a matched set of mistral pen and rollerball or a more cost effective European round top rollerball and pen set (from Nerea). I'm not sure if there are better options.

In addition I'm at a loss for boxes and engraving options as I've never done that before. Any help or advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You say they want "high end".

The "European round top" is not what I would call high end.

"High end" would be Emperor or Jr. Emperor, in my opinion, or perhaps the Statesman products.

It is also not clear whether you want "pen and pencil set" or "rollerball and pen set".

Where you typed "Nerea" do you mean "Berea".

Sorry for the nitpicking if that's what it seems like but when you are dealing with a customer who wants "high end" you really do have to be rather precise. . And without that kind of precision it is rather hard to offer advice.

Last edited:

Gersh

Sorry, I really shouldn't post via phone. He wants a matched rollerball and pencil set. I agree that European round tops are not high end but in terms of matching kits I have seen very few and would like to give him alternatives

jttheclockman

I think what you should do is ask for a list of kits that can support your needs before asking about what is highend. Get into the engraving and find a box separately. You will get better info this way. Trying to cram so many options and questions get confusing. Some may know answer to one but not both and they skip answering. Just trying to help and no I have no idea for either. My idea for a box and engraving is way out of your budget from what you wrote. :):):)

Gersh

Well this has been an interesting thread that I honestly wish I could delete. From my mistypes to the condescending tone from others I think I will go back to simply looking and occasionally purchasing blanks. Thank you for helping me remember why I stopped interacting online.

jttheclockman

Well this has been an interesting thread that I honestly wish I could delete. From my mistypes to the condescending tone from others I think I will go back to simply looking and occasionally purchasing blanks. Thank you for helping me remember why I stopped interacting online.

You asked for ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a world we live in these days.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have no experience with engraving boxes, but I suspect general plaque/print shops might be helpful. Many pen turners themselves are utilizing laser engravers, possibly there is one locally.

As for the boxes themselves, many of the typical pen turning vendors will carry a variety.

I'll check on some resources tomorrow and update in a PM if I find anything locally.

Hope you stick around... :redface:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Sorry, I really shouldn't post via phone. He wants a matched rollerball and pencil set. I agree that European round tops are not high end but in terms of matching kits I have seen very few and would like to give him alternatives

In all honesty, we are not mind readers. I posted some things yesterday about the ambiguity of words and how the same words mean different things to different people. We are here to help as much as possible and we want to help, but sometimes it take two or three or four posts and re-posts to get on the same page so that the correct information can be given.

jttheclockman

Here is a link for a set just posted a couple days. I do not know what the kits are they did not say but you could PM them if you like
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/pen-pencil-set-friend-157537/

Here is another
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/custom-lapis-click-pen-pentel-pencil-156160/

Another
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/pen-pencil-kit-154811/

Another
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/book-matched-cigar-pen-pencil-151780/

Maybe this can help
I see that the pen kit uses a Cross ink refill. In that case, I don't know of a way to convert the pen kit to a pencil.

I think you should consult with CSUSA about your options.

You may have to go to a pen kit which uses a Parker refill.

In recent years a number of those Parker pen kits have had pencil mechanisms developed for them ... PSI has several options of this type

https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/mer...cil+conversion

For an even longer time, if you were wanting to convert a Parker pen kit to a pencil kit you could replace the refill with a Schmidt mech.
This conversion only works for a small selection of pen kits

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalo...ncil+mechanism

You may already be familiar with the options I am presenting to you .... if so I apologize for the duplicated information.

jttheclockman

As far as engraving boxes goes many members here now are into lasers and do pen engraving maybe put out a call for hire here in the wanted section. Stan Cook use to do alot of engraving on this site but not sure he still does. As far as boxes just about all pen vendors carry different level of quality boxes depending on what you are looking for. Exotic Blanks has a big selection, PSI, Woodcraft if you have one near you may have some, Bear Tooth Woods.

gtriever

The best-matched "high-end" pen and pencil set that I've come across in my short time turning pens is the Mistral Ballpoint and Pencil set. For boxes, some vendors offer custom engraving, but offhand I don't recall which ones.

magpens

I apologize if my reply seems overly terse and nitpicky. . I like to help but am often frustrated by language/expression.

Last edited:

Rtibbs

In addition I'm at a loss for boxes and engraving options as I've never done that before. Any help or advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gersh,

I purchased several Bubinga wooden pen boxes from PSI and was very happy with the quality. These were pre-finished and I engraved these on my CNC router and filled the engraving with a gel stain.
I am very pleased with the results and unfortunately I don't have any pictures as they have been shipped as Christmas presents.

Ron

BKelley

Not sure about what pen/pencil kits would fit your needs, but there are many vendors who offer a varriety of boxes. These boxes can be lasered or trophy shops can engrave a nice brass plate to attach to box.

Ben

WriteON

Gersh.... this is pretty much a quality forum, You'll get mostly good, valuable and honest replies from most members. Welcomed aboard. Stick around.

Last edited:
You might check out Arizona Silhouette on the engraved box. I've seen items Barry Gross has had done so my thinking is he, or someone from within, can steer you in the right direction. Don't give up on asking for advice on this site, you're only getting the best advice from a group of well seasoned turners with years of experience.

Pbrman71

Call me crazy but I have found the European style ( montblanc) to be very elegant. Much of it has to do with how you turn it. I use and have used for years the kits from craftsupplies USA. They are reasonably priced and the center bands are really nice looking.

Pbrman71

I checked with a local trophy and engraving place here in Tucson and that assured me engraving could be done on virtually ant pen so a box should be no problem

Top Bottom