Adjustable Pen Mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I am about ready to purchase an adjustable pen mandrel and wanted to ask the opinions of the very experienced people here on IAP. There are a couple of different models depending on who you purchase them from. They are all very close to the same price, so price is not a concern. Can some of you that have experience with these mandrels please offer your experience and opinions on the different types/brands of adjustable pen mandrels.

Thank you in advance for your help with this.

Jim Smith
Conyers, Georgia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papaturner

Jim, I bought mine from woodcraft not sure what the model no. is. Regardless I have had it for about 2 years with no problems at all. In my case it has done the job.Hope this bit helps.:)

BruceA

Adjustable Mandrel from Arizona Silhouette

I have been using one I purchased from Arizona Silhouette for use on my Jet VS. Mostly doing Sierra single barrel kits for starters, and the adjustable capabilities make it easy to reduce the rod length to minimize flex.

It uses a set screw to secure the rod. Machining and steel quality are first rate.

I'd recommend it!

Fitz

I just bought one recently from CSUSA and have used it to turn approximately 30 pens. It works well.

PaulDoug

I have a Penn State Industries and a two from Arizona Sihlouette ( A and B) Actually I like them all the same. However, I now use a mandrel rod in my Beall collet chuck and prefer this method. I also only turn one blank at a time which allows me to keep the rod short.

They are actually all about the same, in my opinion.

dwmcreynolds

I just bought my first adjustable mandrel from Rockler yesterday. It seems to be well made, but you need two 7/8 wrenches to tighten it. The first time I used it today the rod stuck in the collet and I had to knock it out with a transfer punch, so it's a pretty tight fit. The price was right, only 20 bucks.

Dave McReynolds

Top Bottom