Adjustable mandrel sticking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kirk Dietrich

Hello all, I have an adjustable mandrel that I bought from Ed at Exotic Blanks and the chuck gets stuck in the headstock and really grips the mandrel not allowing me to move it easily. I've had to stick a rod in the open end of the head stock and tap it to get it loose enough to adjust. That works but is a little time consuming, is there a better way? Am I doing something wrong? I even tried not tightening the collet and that helps having only to tap the open end while the headstock is still in the lathe but the downside to only tightening the collet hand tight is that the mandrel walks out of the tailstock in towards the headstock while turning for a few minutes.

Thanks,
Kirk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You shouldn't need to change the length often, at about 4 inches it will do one piece of almost every pen.

BUT, if you do want to change it, loosen the nuts and tap the end of the mandrel (making it shorter). The collet then releases and you can adjust the length either IN or OUT, very easily.

(At least that's what happened with the one I just tried!!)
Happy Thanksgiving!!
Ed

PenPal

In common with every adjustable gripping method the number of times they are used effects the life. These collets by virtue of their low cost are mass manufactured of not so special steel so recovery from open and closed varies greatly.

Proof of quality comes with price normally collets of high standards demand a fair price, naturally we all seek all compromise when purchasing. The forums are full of where can I obtain the cheapest kits, drills etc.

If you select the width of the widest half of a pen you intend to turn and then use shims in the form of quality washers or solid materials you extend the life of your mandrel greatly.
Why then buy an adjustable mandrel? You buy it to acheive an end purpose.

If you choose to have quality, quick changing accuracy then purchase a quality set of collets in a quality collet holder and be done with it. All machinists will suggest this most especially professionals.

You cant get kittens from a cat named George. The impossible done straight away, miracles take a little longer.

This extends to drills you use it is false economy to buy inferior drills and seek accurate trouble free drilling.

WE have freedom of choice.

Trust you have success in your turning sometimes avoiding the pitfalls of buying entirely on
price.

Kind regards Peter.

Last edited:

Kirk Dietrich

Thanks for all the thoughts. I have found after doing my seventh pen that it is easier to move the length once I loosen the collet.
The reason I move it is I turn down one half at a time and use a short length of mandrel. Then after I do each half, I pull out the mandrel and put both halves on to apply the finish.
I do have a mandrel saver, I haven't tried leaving the mandrel long and sticking out the end of the tailstock.

Thanks,
Kirk

Top Bottom