Address labels as decals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dmott

I stopped by Office Depot to buy some clear address labels, and saw some window decals. Seems pretty thick and they seem to just be a sticker without much stick, I dont know if theyll do much.

Ive seen people use these address labels and cast around them, but never seen one used just below the CA glue. I remember one post about this, but if I remember correctly there wasnt much info and i couldnt find it with the search function anyway. Using the search function I saw the question asked, but nobody answered.

Would it take 100 coats of CA to smooth out the ridges that these labels will make? Is there a possibility of using these like others use the decals?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dmott

I am going to be trying this tonight. I think it will take a lot of coats, but maybe if I apply it with the lathe off i can build up a big thick(and probably lumpy) surface and sand it back down.

dmott

I have no picture to post, but I think I can say it will work with a reasonable number of CA coats.

I ran out of accelerator, and combined with no patience that is not a good thing. The thin CA dries real fast, the medium not so much. I butchered the finish so bad I just scraped it all back off, but not before i let it dry and sanded a little. I couldnt notice any ridge between the address label and the wood beneath it.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I stopped by Office Depot to buy some clear address labels, and saw some window decals. Seems pretty thick and they seem to just be a sticker without much stick, I dont know if theyll do much.

Ive seen people use these address labels and cast around them, but never seen one used just below the CA glue. I remember one post about this, but if I remember correctly there wasnt much info and i couldnt find it with the search function anyway. Using the search function I saw the question asked, but nobody answered.

Would it take 100 coats of CA to smooth out the ridges that these labels will make? Is there a possibility of using these like others use the decals?
My opinion is it will be very much like making a postage stamp pen. A few coats of "Modge Podge" and then ca finish would be my suggestion. There are numerous you tube videos of this method for stamps, I suspect it will work with only ca as well but would quickly become boring. I suspect this is why your patience ran thin in your experience. Just an opinion, it was free so discard it it at your discretion.

dmott

My opinion is it will be very much like making a postage stamp pen. A few coats of "Modge Podge" and then ca finish would be my suggestion. There are numerous you tube videos of this method for stamps, I suspect it will work with only ca as well but would quickly become boring. I suspect this is why your patience ran thin in your experience. Just an opinion, it was free so discard it it at your discretion.

Thanks for the mod-podge idea. I always assumed those stamp pens were casted. Now that I know they aren't, im pretty excited. I have a few blanks with a California flag+ a few layers of CA as a sealer. I now have some mod-podge waiting in my car, and will try a few layers when i get home.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I allow 10-12 hours (overnight)after final coat before ca on top. "dry" is not the same as "cured". 10-12 hours my be excessive but I had a couple failed attempts(clouding)by finishing too soon. Your temp and humidity may differ, so you may be able to achieve a different schedule.

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
I have been using Avery Clear for all of my decals. Here is what I do and it works for me. After I get the picture reduced, and sized pretty good I use the Avery website (which is on the box) size them to the size I want and copy at least one page. Turn my blank, sand it to 600, four coats of thin CA, then I put 3 coats o medium CA. I do not use accelator in between ANY coats of CA. I then smooth out the CA'd blank with brown paper bag, just to have a smooth place for the decal. As the clear label has a stickum on the back of label it stays pretty good where placed. I then follow up with another coat of CA by placeing a dab on Bounty piece and by turning the lathe by hand place the CA directly on the label and turn the blank by hand. I then put at least three more coats over the decal. Finish it off with as many coats of CA as you wish. Whan you wet sand the blank DO NOT be too hard on the blank as you might cut into the decal. finish off the polish as your choice. I posted a picture of 4 or 5 pens with the Globe and Anchor on it several months ago. I find it is best to have a smooth place to lay to decal, and at least three coats of CA over the decal.

dmott

got pics

Attachments

• 2011-10-29_23-01-43_687 (800x451).jpg
    2011-10-29_23-01-43_687 (800x451).jpg
    163 KB · Views: 134
Top Bottom