Additional collets...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hendu3270

Guys, I have the 5 collet chuck from PSI and it's worked pretty well so far with only the 5 collets that came with the kit. However, I'm wanting buy a couple of additional collets for it, but I'm not sure what I need to be looking for. Is that chuck considered an "ER20" chuck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Best value for wood lathe is probably a set of 18 metric ER32 collets. Metric because there are no gaps (that happens with imperial sets) and you can use the lowest price set for under $100 with shipping.

You can pay several times more for less variance in precision, and if you were working with metal lathes and fine precision, it might be worth it.

Ebay search "metric ER32 Collet Set" should get you some good choices.

MichaelD

I went with the imperial sizes since there is more overlap in size there than with metric. Check the Library here in the IAP.

Search eBay for "ER32 Collet Set". There's one guy selling an 18pc imperial set in 1/32" steps for $108 and free shipping. That's the one I bought and I'm happy with it. Each collet comes with it's own plastic slip case. I didn't think I would need all of those but I've since used a lot more than I thought I would and glad I didn't just try to buy what I needed singly.

Mr Vic

When lookng at collet chuck sets is there a preference for the screw on type adapter or a morse taper adapter?

Dick Mahany

When lookng at collet chuck sets is there a preference for the screw on type adapter or a morse taper adapter?

I prefer the screw on type and have one of the ER32 collets from CSUSA. I am pleased with it. I also have an inexpensive Morse Taper collet chuck for my 7x12 mini metal lathe, however the collets seem to run truer when used in the threaded chuck on the wood lathe than the MT style. I have heard very good things about the Beall collet chuck, but don't have any direct experience with one.

Top Bottom