Adding trim rings to Corian?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike D

I'm in the process of turning some pens for the Troops. Several of the pens I'm using Corian for the barrels but I want to dress them up a little by adding trim rings.

The process I've used before for some trim rings on wood has been to turn the barrel round down to a little proud of the bushings and then with a parting tool cut thin grooves down to the brass tube, then pack stone dust or colored powders in small amounts into the groove and then locking it in with thin CA. Then complete the turning to finished size.

Will this work and hold up with Corian? This works well with wood but not sure about the bond between the CA and Corian. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lsldh

corian

I have glued corian to wood numerous times and it works fantastic. Turn the wood down to the brass insert and then glue on the corian that is drilled to the size of the insert. After that, turn it down to the size of the pen and finish with some scratch remover and enjoy the pen.

Mike D

Chuck thanks for the link, I have used the technique you provided a link to but sometimes I will use dust or colored powder when I don't have the color I'm wanting to use and it works very well with wood. My main question is will the CA and powder bond with the Corian. I haven't used Corian before.

Dolphinjon

I don't know about the powder, but I have used CA on corian dozens of times, and it has always bonded well. I use it to glue up segmented corian blanks and to glue various trim rings to it as well. I've also glued my fingers to it numerous times, but you probably want to avoid that...

Top Bottom