Adding initials to finished pen???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hendu3270

Had a potential customer email me about one of the pens I'm selling and asked about putting initials on it to personalize it for a gift. I've never done this myself, but it seems it could be done. Aren't there place that add gold letters to a product that wouldn't actually affect the CA finish on a pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Yes Mrcook wants the pen when its DONE so he can laser engrave and back fill, contact him, hes very easy to work with and does a hell of a job.

Hendu3270

I PM'd MrCook after the first response and also been made aware of a few others in the area. I'm going to compile some info and make a decision. Thanks for the info and help guys.

Really nervous about this, as the CA finishes are nice and the thought of someone cutting a groove into it and then filling them, and still having the surrounding areas nice and glossy, scares the heck out of me. :eek:

The Penguin

I PM'd MrCook after the first response and also been made aware of a few others in the area. I'm going to compile some info and make a decision. Thanks for the info and help guys.

Really nervous about this, as the CA finishes are nice and the thought of someone cutting a groove into it and then filling them, and still having the surrounding areas nice and glossy, scares the heck out of me. :eek:
Stan knows what he's doing.

I sent him 100 pens to engrave last year for an order.

jzerger

I've had a number engraved on the clips after the pen is made and sold by the local jeweler. Even on Slimline (solid...no stripe) clips. Chrome works best, less chance of chipping.

keithbyrd

Don't worry - it works fine - almost all my pens are engraved after finishing and most of the time not color filled - customer usually prefers it without the fill.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
.....Don't worry - it works fine - almost all my pens are engraved after finishing and most of the time not color filled - customer usually prefers it without the fill.
Based on my past experience, use of a color fill depends on the color of the pen and the material. Some just don't show the engraving without being filled while other look great with just the engraving. YMMV.

Sub Vet 10

If you find someone that's experienced then that shouldn't be a problem. There's a bit of art and finesse that goes in to the power and intensity settings so that the material is "cut" and not burnt, but as I said, it shouldn't be an issue: especially if you bring scraps to fine tune on.

Chris Bar

Any chance of using a vibrating engraver just to carve initials on partially CA'd [sealed] pen blank, then wipe on paint/ink and wipe off to remove paint not in groove, dry and finish CA application? Have done so on other stuff a few times with success. Would like to add initials to pens from time to time, but need to do so inexpensively since I do not sell...only give them away.

Donovan

I have the same problem with having my pens engraved. I put my logo on all my salable pens and it is a pain in the neck to get it done reliable. I now bought a 900x1200 laser. It is Chinese made and affordable. When I make a mistake it will not hurt as bad as when I have to pay people to make the mistake. I take the left over piece of the blank to test the power setting before doing the actual pen. I also now put the logo on before assembling the pen

Donovan

Top Bottom