Adding cross slide to wood lathe - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Please educate me! What does a cross slide table allow you to do?
jimmyz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
A cross slide is a milling attachment and tool holder for a lathe ...

It allows you to make very accurate and repeatable cuts, and with the proper setup you can even cut threads with a single point tool in many different thread sizes and pitches.

It allows you to work using any straight angle cuts, including tapers of any degree, and allows for very accurate milling and boring operations that you really just can't do freehand with wood lathe tools.

Imagine a drill press vice locked sideways on top of another drill press vice, with a pair of moving jaws each that you can advance or retreat using a screw. Both vices can swivel independently of each other, and can be locked into position easily ... the top one has a special locking slot to hold the "tool post". This is just an attachment that holds your cutting tools in the proper position and orientation for cutting.

The cross slide takes the place of the toolrest AND your tools, in metalworking lathes. You lose a lot of the freedom of freeform creation and making things like beads, curves, coves, ect by hand ... but you gain great accuracy in making perfect cylinders, tapers, threading, ect ...

They are talking about the possibility of combining the cross slide accuracy of the metal lathe with a tool rest for normal wood lathe use (replace one of the tool posts with a toolrest), to gain the best of both worlds for woodworking.

Attendance is not mandatory, unless you're addicted to turning pens.
Skie_M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishman View Post
I think that lathe might have some problems with Damascus.
I would have to agree. I use a 7" x 10" mini metal lathe and it will turn Damascus blanks using carbide tooling but is approaching it's limits for drilling. My 7 x 10 is rated at 3/4HP, more likely 1/3 HP in reality.

The lathe in the link has about a fraction of the power of the 7x10 with a 25W motor (0.033HP) It will struggle with wood and acrylic blanks.

I made a simple tool rest for my metal lathe to turn by hand and also a pattern attachment to turn complex curves and longer tapers.

Danny
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

If you are not in a hurry and have access to a drill press for doing your drilling a Taig lathe might be your answer. I have one set up for travel, I also have one of every option they offer including the wood lathe tool rest. I have turned pens, made bushings, made steam engines, made custom nibs and a slew of other "things". For fast production, it is next to useless, but for making pens it can be done.

I also use the Taig to make game calls and have made custom tooling for them. I use the milling attachment to mill square tonechannels in my soundboards. There was also a version of the Taig that was made under the name of Bonnie Klein. Not sure if it is still available, but used ones come up every so often on eBay. A longer bed would be great, but I have never seen one that came with a reasonable price.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Pretty much what skie said, although I believe some of what he talked about involves a "compound cross-slide," which is the standard for metal lathes.

As far as capacity, it all depends on tools, desired accuracy, and time. I could turn a marketable super duplex blank on a rigged 3amp hand drill lathe using files, abrasives, and an abundance of time.

I have a decent drill press.
JPW062 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager

Photos: 83

Here is an ebay auction with one for sale.
Vintage Delta Wood Lathe Compound Cross Slide with Plate for 11" 930 Lathe | eBay
http://www.silverpenparts.com
mredburn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-10-2017, 11:19 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 6

It can be done, but awful inconvenient, IMO. If you have any interest in metal working for pens you would be better of with even the HF 7x10 lathe. Or keep an eye out for an old Atlas/Craftsman or South Bend. Even as light as they are you will have better repeat-ability and control than adapting something to a wood lathe.

Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..........
Paul in OKC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads