Adding cross slide to wood lathe - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Adding cross slide to wood lathe

Most of my turning experience is on metal lathes. Manual and CNC. I've done some wood turning before and now have started some pens. It seems to me like a cross slide would be extremely useful for wood pens. I don't see any options to add one to a wood lathe though.

I am looking hard at the Comet II lathe, but if there is an easy way to do it on another brand I am willing to consider.

Should I just buy one of the $150 Chinese metal minis off of amazon?
https://smile.amazon.com/Iglobalbuy-...keywords=lathe

Damascus pens might be interesting.
JPW062 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Contact Chris Hightower at Cue Man Billiards, he offers a carriage/cross slide for wood lathes, although its a little more than the little Chinese lathe you have listed above.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk
Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think that lathe might have some problems with Damascus.

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Heavy Duty Mill & Drill Table

While a metal lathe can do stuff a wood lathe can't, it is lousy at curves and free flowing shapes. Practice with your tools and you can do so much more.

The table linked above or one like it could be mounted parallel to a wood lathe's bed. You'd need to rig a holder for tools and tune it up to take up the play and make it smoother. It could do some of the functions you might be thinking of. If you want a wood lathe with a designed for cross slide you'll need to track down an a pattern makers lathe. Hard to find, usually big, and if in good condition, spendy.
Curly is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-08-2017, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 49

I would stay away from that one on Amazon. It says 7 x 12 but does not use the normal convention for measurements. You might have trouble fitting a pen blank on that one. A true 7 x 12 metal lathe is very useful for making pens but will cost at least 5 x as much for a decent one unless you can find used.

Last edited by BRobbins629; 01-08-2017 at 09:12 PM.
BRobbins629 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Go to Little Machine Shop and look at their metal lathes. More money than the Comet, but a lot more in quality. https://littlemachineshop.com/
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager

Photos: 83

You can sometimes catch a bolt on cross slide on Ebay, I know Atlas used to make them, I think Delta may have also. Its been a long time since I bothered to look for them. They are not cheap and are mostly for bigger wood lathes.
http://www.silverpenparts.com
mredburn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Nova sold an x-y platform made for 16 inch lathes specifically for ornamental turning. It has been off the market for about 8 years more or less. Videos were on the Teknatool web site with a bit of looking.

If you are looking to make a wood lathe into a serious metal lathe, it can be done, but will be a hobby onto itself.

Ornamental turning does open a bunch of different opportunities for pen making......

Last edited by KenV; 01-08-2017 at 10:03 PM.
KenV is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 40

Maybe the thing to do is buy a metal-working lathe and add a tool rest to the cross-slide, for the purpose of turning pens.

It seems to me that would be easier and cheaper. . Perhaps you can even get by without such a tool rest as I have.

Little Machine Shop has some very useful metal lathes in the 7 x 14 size range.

They do in fact sell a tool rest for wood turning that mounts on the cross-slide, but frankly, it is quite Mickey Mouse. If there is nothing better on the market, I think it would be possible to make one or have a machinist make one for you.

I have been using a 7x14 metal lathe for the past six years to turn pens with carbide tools mounted on the original tool post. . I do not use wood-turning tools and I do not have the type of tool rest used on a wood lathe. . I find the cross-slide very useful.

BTW, if you want to turn Damascus, the 7x14 mini metal lathe might not be appropriate ... just saying.

Another BTW ... Cue Man Billiards was mentioned above; his lathes and accessories are of very similar design to Taig lathes.

The best acting is telling the truth.

Last edited by magpens; 01-08-2017 at 10:39 PM.
magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-09-2017, 05:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpens View Post

Another BTW ... Cue Man Billiards was mentioned above; his lathes and accessories are of very similar design to Taig lathes.
Yes, Cue Man Billiards lathes are Taig based lathes. HOWEVER, Chris offers a carriage/cross slide assembly made SPECIFICALLY for a wood lathe, not his Taig based cue lathes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dirtbmw20; 01-09-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads