Acrylics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

A very oft-repeated misnomer. No problem!!!!!

Well I ruined 2 of the blanks I got in today from exotics. Lol. One day I will get this threading down pat.

Well before you go on tell us a little bit about what you are doing that ruined them and maybe show a picture or two. Plus have you turned plastics before??? How long have you been turning and turning pens?? Give a little background and maybe someone can help or point you in the right direction.

Tclem76

Well I ruined 2 of the blanks I got in today from exotics. Lol. One day I will get this threading down pat.

Well before you go on tell us a little bit about what you are doing that ruined them and maybe show a picture or two. Plus have you turned plastics before??? How long have you been turning and turning pens?? Give a little background and maybe someone can help or point you in the right direction.

Been turning pens for almost two years but all wood. Have turned some acrylics on kit pens. I'm learning how to thread. Well trying. Lol. I'll get it. I thread one good then 4 bad. It's as if I'm tearing the threads up. Just the learning curve. That's all. I'll get it but t sure is costing a few dollars.

jttheclockman

Been turning pens for almost two years but all wood. Have turned some acrylics on kit pens. I'm learning how to thread. Well trying. Lol. I'll get it. I thread one good then 4 bad. It's as if I'm tearing the threads up. Just the learning curve. That's all. I'll get it but t sure is costing a few dollars.

I did not read that part at first that you are threading. Not all acrylics like to be threaded so you may have a problem there. There are threads if you do a search on threading acrylics. Maybe some one will be able to help.

Tclem76

I did not read that part at first that you are threading. Not all acrylics like to be threaded so you may have a problem there. There are threads if you do a search on threading acrylics. Maybe some one will be able to help.
Yeah I kind of got a little off topic. Lol. I've talked to a couple of people about them. I was using the wrong blanks at first but the ones I got today are better. Finally decided to just use a blank to practice on. Main problem is running the die on it but I'm getting better. So I say.

Sylvanite

True acrylic (poly methyl methacrylate) generally taps and threads ok, with some care and lubrication. Polyester resin varies quite a bit depending on how it was cast. Some blanks are brittle. Tru-Stone is a composite material (stone powder in a resin matrix) that is generally difficult to cut threads in.

In my experience, the easiest pen blank material to tap and thread is Alumilite Black, which is a urethane resin. Alumilite White is very similar, but Alumilite Clear is not. If you want to try making your own threaded sections, Alumilite Black is a good material to start with.

Delrin and HDPE thread pretty well (they are dense and slick), but are not typically used in pen blanks. They are good for practice.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Tclem76

True acrylic (poly methyl methacrylate) generally taps and threads ok, with some care and lubrication. Polyester resin varies quite a bit depending on how it was cast. Some blanks are brittle. Tru-Stone is a composite material (stone powder in a resin matrix) that is generally difficult to cut threads in.

In my experience, the easiest pen blank material to tap and thread is Alumilite Black, which is a urethane resin. Alumilite White is very similar, but Alumilite Clear is not. If you want to try making your own threaded sections, Alumilite Black is a good material to start with.

Delrin and HDPE thread pretty well (they are dense and slick), but are not typically used in pen blanks. They are good for practice.

I hope that helps,
Eric
Thank you. I'm started practicing on some delrin I had and thought I was a natural. Lol then I tried to thread some hard brittle blanks and threw everything across the room ( 3 times ). Anyway I just got some alumilite blanks and I am doing better. Learning how to run the tap and die.

Top Bottom