Acrylic turning question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Sean,
You can use them initially, but you'll find they're pretty aggressive and you'll likely get some chipping... there are other more expert turners here on the acrylics, but my suggestion is if you use these gouges, just use them to knock the corners off then revert to a good sharp skew... I think the skew does a much neater job, leaves a smoother surface and less likely to cause a blowout. I do about 90% of my pen turnings with a skew, and only use a spindle gouge to do the initial rounding on antler... then back to the skew.

GregHaugen

I vote for a "skew" as well. It can be used in the conventional way or as a negative rake scraper.

A skew is my favorite tool for pens. I'll use a gouge to get it round and then switch to a skew.

randyrls

I would suggest that you mount the blanks on the mandrel, then use a belt or drum sander to knock off the corners. Use a skew in a cutting action rather than a scraper. You should get nice ribbons. You can be aggressive to start, but little "pock marks" is the sign that you are tearing out pieces and you will see tiny beads of acrylic coming off the skew. If you are using a gouge, tilt the gouge so you get a cutting action, and ride the bevel.

mdburn_em

Sure they're ok.

You probably will need more sanding to get rid of the "pock marks" Sanding of Acrylic can be done very fast though. The intent is to get down to the finished size quickly.

I think a brilliant man said that once. (Isn't that right Ed?)

This is if you don't have your skew "chops". Get it down close to size, then clean it up whether that's with a skew or sandpaper. It doesn't really matter. It's what works for you that matters.

sbell111

My skew hates me and I hate it. Therefore, I tend to turn mostly with a gouge. Pockmarks are not an issue if you tread gently.

I knock the corners down on my resins with my biggest honkin' parting tool, which I'm sure there are bigger but it isn't a competition. :wink:

I use a scraper and a bowl gouge otherwise.

I have a 1" and 3/4" bowl gouge that have a fingernail profile that I use with my resins. They are the shallow profile that I was told was a european bowl gouge, as opposed to the half-round one usually sees. I use it like a skew with a curved edge. After getting off all the curlies, I flip the gouge over so that it rides the tool rest and give it a shot as a negative rake scraper and pull off micro fuzzies.

Top Bottom