acrylic turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

I got a freebie from Ed & Dawn I'm trying to turn but it keeps chipping badly. I'm turning at 2800 rpm's. To fast? Tools not sharp enough? I stopped before I ruined the whole blank. Any suggestions/instructions would be appreciated. I haven't turned plastic for 10 years.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What tool are you trying to use, please.

And which blank did I put in there? (pic or descript)

Then, I will help as much as I can.

JBCustomPens

I got a freebie from Ed & Dawn I'm trying to turn but it keeps chipping badly. I'm turning at 2800 rpm's. To fast? Tools not sharp enough? I stopped before I ruined the whole blank. Any suggestions/instructions would be appreciated. I haven't turned plastic for 10 years.

Most likely your tools aren't sharp enough. Are you using a gouge or a skew? In either case, they need to be sharp enough to cut a piece of paper in half.

ToddMR

I have found sharp tools and highest lathe speed greatly reduced my acrylic blunders. At least, for me.

sgimbel

Ed, It's a copper rod and I'm using a gouge. The only way I have to sharpen it is on a belt sander.

edit: it was already turned round.

Mark

I've found on a few of the "alternates" a very light touch, highest lathe speed I can get and SHARP tools are a must. It doesn't turn down as fast as a regular acrylic. Take your time... It's worth the wait.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
So everyone is on the same page, the copper rod is an imported "metallic" that is actually a Polyresin. I have no idea how they get the metallic look.

More coming
ADDED:
Scott, see if this helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xikciU16Fts

Watch at least the first 4 minutes (I think) that shows the use of the roughing gouge---I think (HOPE) it will help!!

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
For what it is worth, I use a Woodchuck and turn at about 4000 rpm. Minimal problems.

Mark

I treat the metallic's the same way. I admit, I destroyed one. I just got too aggressive when I got it down to where I was ready to sand. Heat, time to turn and me trying to hurry it along, got the best of the blank. :redface:

It takes me longer, but I always take my time with them now. Slow light cuts and keep the tool sharp. I wear a full face shield too. :biggrin:

Top Bottom