acrylic stars and stripes glue up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

This is my first attempt at making an acrtlic pen;;I would like to make the stars and stripes;;;could anyone give me some advice on how to glue the ends together and what type of glue should I use;;;thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

This is my first attempt at making an acrylic pen;;I would like to make the stars and stripes;;;could anyone give me some advice on how to glue the ends together and what type of glue should I use;;;thank you

Jeff; I normally don't glue-up the blanks; I just use the stripes for the lower blank, and the stars for the upper blank. Cut each one in half and then drill short and trim. Two blanks make two pens.

loydstuts

This is my first attempt at making an acrylic pen;;I would like to make the stars and stripes;;;could anyone give me some advice on how to glue the ends together and what type of glue should I use;;;thank you

Jeff; I normally don't glue-up the blanks; I just use the stripes for the lower blank, and the stars for the upper blank. Cut each one in half and then drill short and trim. Two blanks make two pens.

Ditto

jsolie

Be careful turning those blanks they are fairly chippy. I used sharp tools and faster speeds seemed to do better.

Quoting for emphasis. I just turned another pen over the weekend using these blanks. I'd forgotten how chippy they were. A good sharp skew, light cuts and taking my time led to success.

lyonsacc

What color do you guys backpaint the hole/tube with? I've wanted to turn a pen from these blanks but am concerned I'll end up with pink and light blue rather than red, white & blue.

Dave

turncrazy43

Paint the stripes with white and the stars with a dark blue. This has worked very well for me over 20 or so.

Tage

What color do you guys backpaint the hole/tube with? I've wanted to turn a pen from these blanks but am concerned I'll end up with pink and light blue rather than red, white & blue.

Dave

IIRC I didn't paint the tubes on these as I had the same concern. Didn't need it for an Atrax ballpoint.

WriteON

I used medium CA glue and let them sit over night. I had no problems. Be careful turning those blanks they are fairly chippy. I used sharp tools and faster speeds seemed to do better.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Outstanding. Nice. CA glue.... and square ends are key. Experiment with scrap or cheap blanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Harpazo

My 1st Stars & Stripes Pen

Things were going well with cutting the blanks, drilling, & glue up until the lathe work. I discovered this material really needs higher speed for roughing out the blanks. I ended up with moon craters peppered all throughout both stars and stripe sections. Fortunately they all went away after enough material was turned away but it was really close. This blank set seems completely different material than all the other acrylics I've turned (which isn't but a handful).

View in Gallery

Top Bottom