Acrylic stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceD

I have noticed some pictures of pens laying flat on a narrow acrylic stand. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I may purchase one. I have seen the display stands for displaying several pens but never a single stand. Any help will be appreciated very much.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fritzmccorkle

my latest pics were taken with the bluesman stand. i had to adjust my lighting a little because i shoot my light from overhead and when you use one you need to shoot overhead, but it was no problem. they work best on thicker pens. i skinnied mine down a bit but it still shows on some of my slimmer pens. Lou, what f stop are you using? i really like the way your shots look. i'm guessing it's a pretty low f stop???

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Here's a picture of the stands. They are nothing fancy, but they work. Lucite, 1/2" x 3", cereal bowl shape, shallow channel in the top. You can reshape on a belt sander to better meet the dimension of your pens. I have several and have them sized for myself (S, M, L).

2005101832454_AcrylicStand.jpg
<br />

I'll keep track of those of you who are interested.

FYI, the pen in the picture for size reference is a screwbean mesquite Baron.

Fritz--I shoot at slightly different settings depending on the kit and the wood. Normally I'm a 1/40th by 4.0 . That sometimes goes to 1/125th by 5.6 . Now just don't ask me what that means! [:D]

fritzmccorkle

i'm using that light on a boom with a softbox. at my lowest setting i was using 1/500 at 5.6 and that's when i raised up the light about as high as i could go.

i'll have to play around and see if i can get 4.0. one thing i like about your stands is that because they're clear you get that little glow under the pen in your photos because they don't block the light.

gerryr

Be aware that there isn't anything magic about using f4 instead of f5.6 or f8 or any other. The f-stop and shutter speed need to work together. You can't change the f-stop without also changing the shutter speed, unless you want to change to overall exposure. Assuming you use a tripod, which everyone should be using, you are much better off using a small f-stop and a slow shutter speed. The smaller the f-stop, the greater the depth of field and the better the focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom