Acrylic smell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyref

I turned my first acrylic pen this weekend and was wondering if the smell will go away. As I was turning the pen, it gave off a very plastic smell. I brought the pen to work this morning and noticed that the pen itself still has a smell to it. Is that normal. The blank is a pre-drilled aquapearl from PSI. The pen did turn out beautiful. It was also my first european.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

Don't worry Dave. The smell goes away. Once you do smell it you are more sensitive to it. I happen to like the smell. I know I am crazy. I like the smell of Corian too!![^]

JimGo

Hmmmm, my homegrown PR didn't smell after it came off the lathe. You might try using some TSW or another wax on it (I like the cocoanut smell to TSW).

53Jim

I also like the smell of acrylic in the morning. Don't worry, You'll get used to it, and maybe, you'll like it also.

You don't have to be nuts to turn, but it helps. [:D]

woodguy1975

Geez, Mike you are right about the bone. I won't turn antler because of the smell. I'm usually very tolerant, but that is a terrible smelling peice to turn.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Yup Antler, Bone, and Desert Ironwood... nasty smelling stuff... and unfortunately I love the look of all of them... just can't find any bone for pens anymore... anyone know a source that would be good for a Baron and/or Cigar

jenamison

Hey Tom I got my last antler from PSI, which as you probably know sells it by weight. The last I got was 2 hugh antlers that would have accomadated Gentlemans pens. They were over an 1" diameter from the base to about a height of 5-6 inches.

Mike

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mike, antler is have no problem getting and I can't sell what I make from them in MD anyway...
I did one pen out of bone some time ago and it was real neat looking... would love to find some good white bone to do a Baron/Jr Gent with... it is tricky but can be real nice if you take your time.. and don't mind the smell..

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Griz,

If your DNR guy thinks you took Bambi's headdress and so he's gonna toss you in jail forever, think how happy he'll be when he sees you with BONE pens.

If there are any unsolved murders in the past 5 decades, THAT has to be where your BONE came from!! (Background, Dragnet music)

BYE, BYE Griz!!![:D][:D][:D]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Yeah let'em prove it was me.. [}:)][}:)], with all the CA used to finish it the DNA was totally destroyed.. [}:)][}:)]
They ain't gonna take me alive I tell ya... not me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom