Acrylic Pens with Decals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Toca

Hi All, My son has asked me to turn some acrylic pens that he wants to put decals on. My question is this, can anyone tell me what I can use to cover/protect the decal? Would a CA finish work?

Thanks,
Cathy (Toca)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Hi Cathy,

The IAP Library is full of articles that describe various aspects of penturning including decal blanks. Here is a link to one, I know that there are more.

http://content.penturners.org/library/pen_blanks/decal_blank.pdf

Also, many threads have detailed instructions for doing just about anything you want to do in regards to penmaking. Use the search function and search for decal. Youtube is also a valuable resource to find what you are looking for.

Good luck, and post the finished product so we can see how it turned out for you!

CREID

You will need to seal the decal first with something like clear spray paint or you can get decal bonder (Testors), then you can apply the decal and coat with many coats of CA. Like MR. Broberg said there ia an article in the library he posted the link to and there are videos on youtube.

Toca

Thanks all, I am using water slide decals, so guess I am going to apply them to the blank, let it dry and add "many" coats of CA.

JohnU

Seal them prior to applying to the blanks and let them set a day. Also, make sure to put a finished ca finish on the blank before you apply the decal. Micro mesh it and polish it like you were finishing the pen. Any imperfections will show through the decal. I use medium ca over the decal. Just beside to let the decal dry real well or your ca will turn white. Also, put the first couple coats on quick with little pressure against the decal. Then let each coat set up before applying the next and finish again with your polishing and sanding method. It's a lot of steps but works well. Good luck!

Top Bottom