Acrylic pen box windows falling out - help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

I have some wooden pen boxes with cutouts and acrylic windows in them that I bought a few months back. This evening, as I was getting ready to put the pens in them, I discovered that all the acrylic windows fell out! :eek: They are all too loose. Has anyone else had this happen to them? If so, did you find an elegant solution to the problem? I have to deliver these pens very soon and need to solve this fast. Thanks, all!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Can you post pictures? If they are all bad can you return them.
Can you spot tack the windows with glue?

Last edited:

KenV

Hmmm -- the "few months" may take you out of the return period -- if you have time to get more.

I had one come loose once-upon-a-time. Had a bit of narrow double stick tape that I used to tastefully restrain the window in place. Never heard more.

pianomanpj

I believe they all fit perfectly once upon a time - I think it was the change in humidity that is the culprit. I couldn't return them if I wanted to. I'm considering using Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue and putting a dab in each corner under the acrylic insert and pressing it down into the inside of the lid.

KenV

I believe they all fit perfectly once upon a time - I think it was the change in humidity that is the culprit. I couldn't return them if I wanted to. I'm considering using Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue and putting a dab in each corner under the acrylic insert and pressing it down into the inside of the lid.

A tooth pick is probably your friend -- or a needle bodkin for the same purpose

plantman

Roger: Many times when I make pen boxes with windows or stained glass I make or go to one of the local craft, hobby, or JoAnn's Fabric store and purchase miniature wooden moldings used in making doll houses and trimming small boxes. You can purchase them as small as 1/16". Miter them and paint them gold or some contrasting color to add some bling to your box. Cheap, easy, and a quick solve for your problem. Jim S

Last edited:

pianomanpj

Problem solved!

Thanks for all the great suggestions, folks. Unfortunately time is not on my side, so I needed to come up with a solution quickly. I came up with something that I think worked out well, and may be of benefit to others, so I'll post it here. The added bonus is that I can still remove the window insert, if needed.

Below is a picture of the inside of the box showing the clear, acrylic insert. Though they normally have a sufficient friction fit, this one will fall out easily (most likely due to humidity changes).

View in Gallery

What I did was fire up the hot glue gun, and using a toothpick, I applied a little glue to two spots on one edge, seen below. I then let it cool completely. Yeah, it got a little stringy, but I was expecting that. Just have to be careful not to get glue on the faces, although it is possible to peel of the glue if you mess up.

View in Gallery

I trimmed the spots of glue to about 1/32".

View in Gallery

I then laid the box down with the lid flat on the table. Pressing the edge of the insert with the two glue spots into the top part of the lid, I was able to press the bottom edge into the lid with a much better friction fit. The glue has enough spring to it that it holds the insert in snuggly. Since the two spots are at the top of the lid, and dry clear, they are virtually invisible. If you look for them, you can see the two bits of glue in the photo below.

View in Gallery

If you ever run into a loose insert, then you may want to give this a try. Thanks, again, everyone for all your input! :biggrin:

plantman

Roger: You could even go one step more if you are unsure the insert will stay in over time. Take a wood burning tool with a needle point and touch the glue just enough to remelt it so it sticks to the inside of the box also. Great fix however !! Jim S

Top Bottom