Acrylic Paint For Pen Tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

We have several bottles of acrylic paint in various colors my wife got for something or other. Will the acrylic paint stand up to CA or epoxy for being glued into a blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Works for me wtth epoxy. You can add a drop or two of paint into the epoxy if you are dealing with very transparent materials.

Delta Ceramcoat in varied colors

Last edited:

Curly

Grab a little bit of aluminium foil from the kitchen and test the paints and the glues. Try all colours because sometimes one works fine and another won't. Also a good way to check to see if casting resin will affect it too. :wink:

tim self

Works for me wtth epoxy. You can add a drop or two of paint into the epoxy if you are dealing with very transparent materials.

Is this instead of painting the tube, or in addition to?

I no longer paint the tubes. Only the inside of the blank. SOMETIMES if you just paint the tubes and color the epoxy, IF there is enough drill scratches in the blank you can see those marks. Especially on very transparent blanks.

KenV

Is this instead of painting the tube, or in addition to?

Paint the inside of the blank!!! Works to use 2 colors for effects that are different.

With lucite and other transparent resins, polish the inside of the blank to remove scratches before painting. Coloring the epoxy helps hide bubbles in the epoxy.

PTsideshow

A word of caution on the use of acrylic hobby paints as colorants in epoxy resins adhesives!

Acrylic hobby based paint is water based as a solvent with alcohol as a secondary solvent.

Epoxy adhesives are solvent based.

It will depend on the amount of water used in the acrylic paint formula, also the amount of paint used to color the epoxy. The addition of water into the epoxy mix can cause it to fail.

Each brand of paint is different in the amount of water/alcohol used. As been stated to avoid failures use the brands that have been recommend by the other posters, test and DO TESTING to see if it compatible and before ruining a great blank when it spins on the tube.

Also let it dry/out gas 24 hours for the paint, and adhesive. 48 hours is better, before turning.

:clown:

Top Bottom