acrylic and no skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bking0217

Is it possible to turn an acrylic without using a skew and still get a decent result? I haven't bought a skew yet but I have some nice acrylic blanks I'd like to turn.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

I have seen my wife get a smoother finish with a fingernail gouge than I get with a skew. She was a wickedly light touch and tons of patience. I guess that is what she is still with me. :eek:

OKLAHOMAN

I've used a 1/2 round nose scrapper from start to finish many,many times. That being said on most I use the round nose scrapper and finish with a skew.

SonOfMartin

I use a bowl gouge to get close then go to a round nose scraper. Get great results - no need for a skew in my opinion.

jttheclockman

Just about any tool as long as it is sharp can turn a straight piece of material. I can use a parting tool and finish a blank. It is whatever you get used to. But remember sharp counts.

Rick_G

I get my best results with a sharp round nosed scraper. Still have to sand and polish though. I have yet to master the no sanding needed finish with any tool.

Mark

WoodPenPro. I use that from start to finish with acrylics. Then right to MM. Use a light touch and it is an amazing, diverse tool. Good Luck..

If I didn't have the Pro, I'd still be using my 3/4 Spindle Gouge. Works fine too.

bitshird

I like a Carbide Pen Pro with a 2 in radius insert for every thing but Inlace Acrylester. for it I recommend a 36 grit on a 4 inch angle grinder then throwaway the disk and the blank..

ctubbs

I like a Carbide Pen Pro with a 2 in radius insert for every thing but Inlace Acrylester. for it I recommend a 36 grit on a 4 inch angle grinder then throwaway the disk and the blank..

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Now Ken, why not try and save the tube!
Charles

MobilMan

Have always used a 3/4 spindle gouge on everything I make pens out of. Used on an / or \ angle but not qiute as steep. For the heck of it, I,ve turned a pen with every turning tool I own.. Spindle gouge is my favorite.

CREID

I have seen my wife get a smoother finish with a fingernail gouge than I get with a skew. She was a wickedly light touch and tons of patience. I guess that is what she is still with me. :eek:
well it sure isn't for your spelling.:biggrin:
just thought i'd throw that in there.:wink:

witz1976

Depends on the acrylic, if it is inlace I use my 1" skew most of the way then finish with my 1/2" oval skew. If it is something more stable I will use the gouge then finish with 1/2" skew.

aggromere

Day in day out the easiest tool to use for me is the gouge. By varying how I use it I can take off a good bit of material at the start and get a very smooth finish with a light touch. I mostly finish up with an oval skew.

steeler fan1

Is it possible to turn an acrylic without using a skew and still get a decent result? I haven't bought a skew yet but I have some nice acrylic blanks I'd like to turn.

Reading through all the replies there is a recurring theme -- SHARP TOOLS and a LIGHT TOUCH. To use a old analogy, its not the arrow, its the indian:wink:. Like all the others, I've used most of my tools at one time or another without a problem.

Carl

PenMan1

Ditto on the Pen Pro for everything except inlace. I use my cell phone on inlace... To try to find somebody willing to trade me something I CAN TURN!

ldb2000

Me and my skew LOVE inlace acrylester , that stuff shines like glass . Send me all your blanks and I will make sure they get good homes on my creations :biggrin:

I use my Hunter tool to to turn all acrylics to size then finish with my skew , it keeps me from having to do very much sanding .

randyrls

Brian; One thing not mentioned is to knock the corners off square blanks with a drum sander or something similar.

I use a carbide tipped tool for all acrylics. This is especially needed for some of the very hard Trustone and M3 blanks.

Top Bottom