Acrylic Nics and Bumps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CJWood

Still getting the hang of turning acrylics and i am noticing what looks to have been bubles in the material. After its turned I am seeing little round divots in it and some go very deep. Is there something I can do to prevent this? or is this just the nature of the acrylic beast sometimes.
The real problem is when I notice them on the edge next to the bushings.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

manatee

You may be taking too large of a cut. Small cuts and sharp tools is the key. I have also been using a Wood Chuck to turn acrylics and it really cuts smooth!

turff49

Sounds like you are taking too heavy a cut or your tool isn't as sharp as it needs to be. Usually if it's from a bubble you would see it and usually they are quite small. The few bubbles I've seen have a whiteness around the edge of the bubble.

jdmacdo

I have seen that problem with some acrylic blanks I have used. Based on the smoothness of the divots, I can only assume that the blank had some bubbles buried in the middle and not some kind of chip out by the tools. At times I have been able to take some of the shavings (ones that are close in color if it is a multicolor blank) and grind them up and fill the voids with the shavings and CA glue, then smooth it out.

Other times, I have used it as an opportunity to fill the voids with a completely contrasting color or type, even going as far as creating more voids (using sharp carving tools or something similar) or connecting some together with creative thought to create a larger area of contrast... Makes people ask how you found a blank with those interesting features...:biggrin:

ctubbs

The Woodchuck by Ken is one very good answer to dull tools. His website is here;
http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/ and he is a member of the IAP. I have one of his tools and have nothing but praise for it. It is highly recommended by myself and others here. His number is posted on the site so if you have any questions just call. If the holes are clean and shiny, they are probably chips. IMHO
Charles

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I just finished an acrylic pen that had quite a few air bubbles. Unfortunately you usually find these after you start sanding and they fill with sanding dust. Blow or brush all the dust out and you can fill these holes with ca. I usually put a little de-bonder in the hole first and the ca seems to stick better.

Note: I stand corrected, Polyresin.

Nice job on the video Ed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom