Acrylic health hazards for animals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Topsy

Hello :)

I might be forced to move my lathe in the future due to renovations and was wondering where I'd be moving it to for the time being.

One possibility would be to move it into the flat, however I'm concerned about health hazards for pets (specifically cats).
Are there any?

I exclusively turn acrylic blanks with the occasional alumilite and ebonite but do not have a dedicated vac.. I sometimes strap a household vac to the lathe and direct it out of the window in summer but in winter it's not that comfy to do!

Many thanks! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Well , my shop cats seem to survive everything from diesel fumes , various paints and lacquers , lots of Alumilite , the odd piece of acrylic , polyester , etc . The bonus would be that you don`t have to worry about cat hairs in CA finishes , as you would with wood .

bmachin

Not only are they seemingly immune but if you aren't religious about sweeping up you will save lots of money on cat litter. DAMHIK.

Bill

1080Wayne

Not only are they seemingly immune but if you aren't religious about sweeping up you will save lots of money on cat litter. DAMHIK.

Bill

One of the first lessons I learned . The other hazard is an over friendly one . As soon as I turn on the face plate grinder to take corners off a blank , I have one that wants to rub noses with me while standing with his backside to the grinding wheel . He is still intact . He likes to straddle my scale while I am weighing Alumilite , which gets him banished to the bathroom . Standing on the drill press while I am drilling or next to me on the lathe bed while turning are equally attractive to him . The only thing he doesn`t like is the dust collector - a nice quiet one , 65 db . And then there is the table saw !!

Last edited:

farmer

Kills animals

Hello :)

I might be forced to move my lathe in the future due to renovations and was wondering where I'd be moving it to for the time being.

One possibility would be to move it into the flat, however I'm concerned about health hazards for pets (specifically cats).
Are there any?

I exclusively turn acrylic blanks with the occasional alumilite and ebonite but do not have a dedicated vac.. I sometimes strap a household vac to the lathe and direct it out of the window in summer but in winter it's not that comfy to do!

Many thanks! :)

Yes killing thousands of animals ....
The plastic rollers pieces that fail and fall on belts in the pet food factories in china and the pets that eat the plastic pieces are dying at the rate of about 12.000 pets in the USA each year ...........
But if you been feeding your pet cheap cat food from china I don't think laying around in acrylic cuttings is going to speed up its death to much .

Topsy

Thanks guys, I see your pets are all very resilient! :tongue:

Bill

Honestly, I'd rather not try this! :biggrin::biggrin:

One of the first lessons I learned . The other hazard is an over friendly one . As soon as I turn on the face plate grinder to take corners off a blank , I have one that wants to rub noses with me while standing with his backside to the grinding wheel . He is still intact . He likes to straddle my scale while I am weighing Alumilite , which gets him banished to the bathroom . Standing on the drill press while I am drilling or next to me on the lathe bed while turning are equally attractive to him . The only thing he doesn`t like is the dust collector - a nice quiet one , 65 db . And then there is the table saw !!

This sounds like that cat in particular had too many lives allocated and is showing off! :tongue:

A good dust unit is cheaper than a lung transplant.

That may be true.. I'd rather get the former, but it'd need to be rather compact and affordable..

eharri446

We got a puppy when my kids were in elementary school and like all kids that age they loved to play with, and leave scattered everywhere, their Legos. The puppy loved to chew them up and other than having technicolor-ed land mines in the yard to clean up, the dog suffered no lasting harm.

Top Bottom