Acrylic finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Preston

I just got my first acrylic blanks but i dont have anything to finish them with and dont really know the best way to do it. Suggestion would help tons because i cant wait to make acrylic pens any longer its driving me nuts!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

I finish my acrylics with MM pads, EEE, and regular automotive wax. In that order. Everyone finds a system that work best for them.

Good luck. I'm certain you will get a ton of different answers. Try different things and see what you are comfortable with.

OKLAHOMAN

Preston, do you have any micro mesh, if yes wet MM to 12000, be sure to stop between each grit and sand horizontal across the blank. Look in your garage, see if you have any auto polish and scratch remover such as Mequires if not you can also use Brasso to polish.

Last edited:

Mark

So mm to 12000 but what to buff with

Buffing is going to require purchase of some kind of system. Whether you collect & assemble the wheels and compound yourself or purchase it all as a set. It usually consists of two to three fabric wheels on a shaft/mandrel and several different compounds. Different as in "grit" or aggressiveness of the polishing agent. There are several good buffing system video's on you tube. Check it out...

ldb2000

Buffing can also be as simple as going to Home Depot and picking up a soft buffing wheel , drill mandrel and a stick of white buffing compound and using your drill press as a buffer . Total cost about $25 and it works just as good as the buffing systems . I have several of these setups for different compounds and even different materials like metals and I just chuck them up as I need them .

sbell111

Buffing can also be as simple as going to Home Depot and picking up a soft buffing wheel , drill mandrel and a stick of white buffing compound and using your drill press as a buffer . Total cost about $25 and it works just as good as the buffing systems . I have several of these setups for different compounds and even different materials like metals and I just chuck them up as I need them .
It will cost even less if you pop into HF or Workshop Tools.

ldb2000

HF is too far away for me to run for a $5 wheel , HD is almost within walking distance and they have 6" wheels for $6.99 and in the beginning I was using $3 in nuts , bolts and washers for a mandrel . Now I've gotten all fancy schmancy with a $10 8" wheel and $10 drill mandrel . The white compound is still $6.49 :biggrin:

sbell111

HF is too far away for me to run for a $5 wheel , HD is almost within walking distance and they have 6" wheels for $6.99 and in the beginning I was using $3 in nuts , bolts and washers for a mandrel . Now I've gotten all fancy schmancy with a $10 8" wheel and $10 drill mandrel . The white compound is still $6.49 :biggrin:
The 'you' in my post was in reference to anyone who wanted to buy these items. I wasn't suggesting that you go to HF or WT for these items because you already own them. I person who finds HF or WT convenient, on the other hand, can save a significant amount over HD on these items.

animefan

I recommend wet sanding 400, 600, 800, and 1000 then applying novus 3 and 2 with a paper towel or shirt material.

dhammis

I wet sand through 1000, then wet MM to 12000, then plastic polish. I got a buffing set but haven't played with it too much yet.

Top Bottom