acrylic casting supplies?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Burton

Hi Folks,

For those of you who cast your own acrylic resins, where do you get your supplies? I'd like to begin some experimentation with casting my own acrylics.

many thanks,
Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Hey Chris, welcome to IAP !
I buy most all my casting stuff at www.artstuf.com
Glad to see you here. I hang out here when I'm not at the LA pen show.

For those of you that don't know Chris, he turns some mighty fine pen sleves
for name brand pens as a replacement part.

I think you should post a picture of some of your work. [:p]

Chris Burton

Hi All,

Thanks for the "Welcome". Nice place you folks have here. I read Anthony's article (very nice write-up) and have ordered some molds. Actually, the molds arrived a few days ago, but I have yet to order any resin(s).
Are "polyester resin" and "acrylic resin" one and the same? I want to make some blanks, but I am hoping to make them from acrylic, not polyester. Please enlighten me. Is it the "epoxy resin" that I'm after (artstuf.com)? I'm wanting the finished material to be harder than the polyesters that I've worked with in the past.

As per your request here is a Montblanc 149 that I did last week.
cobalt149c.JPG

thanks for your help,
Chris

dfurlano

I think what you going to find is that casting acrylic is a complex process that is going to require specialized equipment to mix and cure. The polyesters and urethanes are very simple to use and do not require any special equipment. Many people do use pressure systems to minimize bubbles. Here is something I found that offers an informational overview of the materials and processes.

http://users.lmi.net/~drewid/resin_faq.html

http://www.midtonacrylics.co.uk/material.html

Johnathan

pretty nice looking MontBlanc, great job. Welcome Chris! I think that after you do a couple of Poli Resins you will find the right balance to achieve what you are looking for. They can be great to work with. Enjoy! I hope to see more pictures. [:)]

Chris Burton

Originally posted by myname1960
<br />Chris,
Nice pen. Where did you get the blue material. I really like the look of it for that pen.

I bought them at the Los Angeles pen show from Andy Lambrou. I believe that he's out of them now, but you can try contacting him and asking. His e-mail address is: claspeninc@aol.com

Chris Burton

Originally posted by dfurlano
<br />I think what you going to find is that casting acrylic is a complex process that is going to require specialized equipment to mix and cure. The polyesters and urethanes are very simple to use and do not require any special equipment. Many people do use pressure systems to minimize bubbles. Here is something I found that offers an informational overview of the materials and processes.

http://users.lmi.net/~drewid/resin_faq.html

http://www.midtonacrylics.co.uk/material.html

Thanks Dan. Yeah, that sounds like it'd be more than I'd want to get into. Maybe I'll try and find someplace that's already set up to do it and see if i can have them make me some stuff.

myname1960

Originally posted by Chris Burton
<br />
Originally posted by myname1960
<br />Chris,
Nice pen. Where did you get the blue material. I really like the look of it for that pen.

I bought them at the Los Angeles pen show from Andy Lambrou. I believe that he's out of them now, but you can try contacting him and asking. His e-mail address is: claspeninc@aol.com

I have just sent Andy Lambrou an email. Thanks for the information.

huntersilver

Yes Artstuf here in San Francisco has great supplies and you can
make many variations for your pens. Don't do what I do and create
a nice resin and forget what porportions I used!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom