acrylic blow outs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sam

I am having a huge problem with blowouts when drilling acrylic blanks. The method I have been using is: drill speed 700, using small (1/4") bit first, backing out to clean about every 3/8 to 1/2 inch, then repeating with the correct size (27/64) bit for the sierra. Thanks in advance for any help, as loosing 3/4 of my blanks is not good. I also have a small wood blank cut off placed below the blank while drilling. The blowout alway happens about 2/3 of the way while using the larger bit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rdunn12

In my opinion your drill speed is too slow,causing chips not to be ejected properly.I drill all acrylics at 2340 without any problems and do not pre drill.You have to be careful at the higher speed not to melt the blank.Use the same method you are using with a higher speed.Drill a little let it cool,drill a little and let it cool.Works for me and the tubes fit fine.

johnnycnc

Hi Sam,
Try just using the large drill only.
"pilot" drilling can actually make things worse
at times.
Also,will your drill go slower? I drill at 500 rpm,
and clear the bit very often,like 1/8" bites after it is started.
Acrylics can heat up as you get deeper,
and will load up the drill.could be your problem.
Cut your blanks long enough to drill to depth,
and not come all the way out the bottom;
saw off the excess to expose the hole when done.
I'm sure others will comment,just my 2 cents.:)

cowchaser

I had a problem with tightening the vise to tight. Then when the bit as you say was about 2/3 through there was not much left to support so it would split. I backed off of how tight I put them in and let my bit cool often and have had very few split on me.

LanceD

I drilled 60 3/4 round x 5'' blanks yesterday with a 1/2" bit to make reel seat inserts and not one blow out. I drill on the lathe at around 1800 RPM's and back out the bit every half inch or so.

Dan_F

How sharp is the bit? Many bits from the catalogs are not very sharp to begin with, (with the exception of the Norseman bits from AS, or the Colt bits from Woodcraft). I bought a Drill Doctor and sharpened all of the black bits I got from the catalogs. I drill at about 1500 RPM, have never had a problem with acrylics. I back out every 1/4 to 1/2"

Dan

MobilMan

How about my 2/3 cents worth. I also have never had a blow out But may be just lucky. I keep a little water & a straw handy. While drilling I get water in the straw & pinch it between my fingers then drip water in the hole while drilling. Backing out quite often. The water lubuicates the blank & helps keep it cool & drill all the way thru. Hope that helps.

Rudy Vey

Drill at a speed of about 1200-1700 rpm, clear out the chips often, and don't force the bit too much. Oh, use sharp bits, but I guess this was said already. I haven't had a blow-out in years, I use the pilot drill bits from DeWalt.

randyrls

Originally posted by sam

I am having a huge problem with blowouts when drilling acrylic blanks. The method I have been using is: drill speed 700, using small (1/4") bit first, backing out to clean about every 3/8 to 1/2 inch, then repeating with the correct size (27/64) bit for the sierra. Thanks in advance for any help, as loosing 3/4 of my blanks is not good. I also have a small wood blank cut off placed below the blank while drilling. The blowout alway happens about 2/3 of the way while using the larger bit.

I would add to the others that a sharp bit and gentle feed should be successful. Acrylic should come out of the drill hole in long strings. I never drill all the way thru the acrylic blank and some woods too. I cut the blank so there is at least 1/4-1/2" extra on both blanks. Then drill just deep enough to seat the tube. Trim the ends to length. I have found the Drill Doctor to be a good tool. I get strings on both flutes! To sharpen bits, follow the instructions with the DD EXACTLY!

Buzz

I think that the best suggestion I can make is to cut your blanks over length and to not drill all the way through, it is at break through that most blanks are ruined. Drill deep enough to accommodate the tube and then cut to length.

I also use a speed of about a 1,000 RPM and have a spray bottle handy to squirt into the blank when withdrawing the bit to clear the chips.

randyrls

Originally posted by ribanett

Sam
I drill alot of acrylic blanks everyweek (I make around 150 perfume pens a week). I used to have the same problem as you are having until a friend (she works in a plactic fab shop) told me to get a DD and regrind my drills. I use water as a coolant and 1200 rpm. Here the link to the page she sent me to. Hope this helps

http://www.plasticsmag.com/features.asp?fIssue=Sep/Oct-01
Sam; Interesting Link; thanks.

I grind my bits to 135 degree split point. The choices with my DD are 118 and 135.

My Mill-drill aka mini-mill doesn't have much clearance when using large drill bits. I have cut about 1" off the tip of the bit and some off the shaft then rough shaped on the grinding wheel and finish on the DD. Of course, I didn't do this on any of my Norseman bits. [8D]

woodchuckcuda

Some of you may think this is an overkill but....

I have purchased Colt bits from Woodcraft for every pin dill requirement that I have. I have never had one blowout with these bits. I do alot to segments and glue-ups. My labor has already been spent prior to the drill press. I has been worth my investment and I would not hesitate to recomend them.

woodchuckcuda

Some of you may think this is an overkill but....

I have purchased Colt bits from Woodcraft for every pin dill requirement that I have. I have never had one blowout with these bits. I do alot to segments and glue-ups. My labor has already been spent prior to the drill press. I has been worth my investment and I would not hesitate to recomend them.

nightowl

I have drilled at both fast speeds an slow. My problem has been bit wandering not blow outs. I am presently drilling at around 580 rpm's and drill slowly. I also have started using a squirt bottle with water in it. I keep the hole being drilled about half full of water. This has helped with the wandering.

Rifleman1776

As has been suggested, slow down the speed cut blank over length and drill only a tiny bit past tube length then cut to proper length afterwards. And, the "black" bits mentioned sound like what CS sells. Grossly overpriced imports that need sharpening before use. Very low quality IMHO and experience. I sharpen to a split point. Best way to avoid acrylics from blowing out is to make your pens with wood. [:p]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree with most.

Drill, then cut off the end to expose hole.

Also realize that nearly all resins are now referred to as "acrylic". This is NOT the case. Polyresin with lots of hardener drills MUCH differently than CSUSA's "celluloid acetate" which I believe has very LITTLE celluloid, but it does DRILL nicely.

Not trying to pick nits, just letting you know your problem is not universal among the types of plastic. SOME are MUCH better than others.

Buzz

As Frank intimated, buying good quality drill bits are a great investment. I'm not familiar with the Colt bits, but I've never seen any really good quality bits being sold as standard by the usual retailers of pen kits. The ones I buy are an Aussie brand obviously, and are four or five times the price of the ones available from pen kit suppliers, but I do not expect to ever have to replace them. I recently got one of the 13.3mm bits from BTW for the Churchill/El Grande kits (where on earth did this size come from??) and the cheaper quality is very obvious. You get what you pay for.

jcollazo

I drilled 36 9/16" diameter PR blanks with a J bit this morning with no problems. The only thing I did different from the above comments is that I drilled only about half way through the blank, flipped it over, and continued from that end. Even though I have a PH vise, I don't go all the way through in case there's a small amount of deflection and I end up with an oblong hole on one end. I also ran the bit through the Drill Dr before starting.

With the first few home brewed PR blanks, I had blowouts while drilling. Haven't had a blowout since I changed to flipping.

EeyorIs21

Ok, my turn to chime in:D

Much of this has already been said, but it cannot hurt to repeat.

1st - make sure your drill bits are sharp AND clean (from previous drilling sessions)
2nd - drill press helps a lot, do not think your drilling by hand, but just in case

What follows is my method and little of how I came to do it this way.

I do not own a drill doctor. I do own several Colt Brad point bits, Norseman bits, DeWalt bits, and some cheap no name bits. I have never sharpend any of my bits, nor had them sharpened, although I am going to look into this for future(it just makes sense:)). I prefer the plastics, because I am never happy with my finish on wood (I know, taking the easy way out with plastics). I have drilled what Woodcraft called/calls AA, what CraftSupplies USA calls celluloid, and Polyester Resin(PR). I personally think the celluloid product is the softest of the 3, AA in the middle, and that PR can be quite brittle. I own a small Ryobi Drill Press(10" I think). I have come to use a speed of 900. I use this speed on all diameters from 7mm to 33/64". I do not pre-drill, or use a center punch (this could help with wandering though). I cut my blank to length first, usually about 1/8" - 1/4" longer than needed. I pre-cut to length because my drill press has a short vertical travel of about 2-1/4".

When I first started pen making no problems with blow-out, lucky I guess. Then as I started making more I began to have problems with blowout, my bits probally just got dull. with the method I have adapted and am using now I have not had any blowouts in almost 2 years(about 100-150 pens). I will say I have never had a blow out with wood though.

I think the biggest problem is heat, bit and blank should be kept cool. When drilling you should be getting nice long ribbons, if you're getting gooey clumps then the bit and/or blank are too hot. STOP and let them cool, or add the water now. I have used an eyedropper and water in the past. I would place water in hole about half way through drilling. I do not do this anymore because I am too lazy.

I use a handscrew to hold my blank vertical. The handscrew is then held on 1 side by a quick-clamp or handi-clamp, and on the other side by the hand that is not operating the drill press. I do not flip my blanks because using my method I would have problems with alignment.

When I had blowouts, it was always at the bottom, where the bit exited the material and always on 1 of the 2 faces not supported by the handscrew. I came to realize that I was probally tightening the handscrew too much, should just be enough to hold blank while running bit in and out. I would place a thin strip of 1/8" thick MDF of hardboard under the blanks, but sometimes still had problems with blowout on the side not supported by handscrew. I did have more problems with blowout on brad point bits than others with this method.

:D:D:D This is the part you really want to read, can skip rest, I just talk too much:D:D:D

The final change I made, and I know some will say this step is not needed but it has worked wonders for me.

I get some MDF or hardboard (1/8" thick). I cut strips on bandsaw to roughly 3/4" wide, just eyeball it. Then I cut each strip into little squares, just use same setting on fence. I have a box full of little 3/4" squares 1/8" thick. After I have trimmed my blanks to length I use CA to attach 1 square to each piece of the blank. Depending on pen this could be 1 or 2 pieces. I just use a larger 4" handi-clamp to hold square to blank for couple of minutes till CA has cured.

Afterwards I just put blank in handscrew with MDF square end down against the drill press table. This gives support under the blank and as long as the square is roughly centered on the bottom of the blank it supports all the material immediately around where the bit will exit. This corrects my problem where the handscrew only supported 2 faces.

Since it is just MDF (cardboard) afterwards I can just trim it off with a boxcutter or the pen-mill when squaring my blanks.

Sorry for all the babble, hope this helps.[8D]

Top Bottom