Acrylic blanks by The Woodshed Pen Co

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeinSC

Just a few moments ago, I learned that at least one of my blanks was dropped and shattered upon impact. I can not begin to know or guess what happened that would have caused one of my blanks to break apart like that. Despite them being PR blanks, it should've survived the fall. I do test my own blanks to see what they can handle. Including dropping on the floor, getting hit with a mallet, banged against the lathe bed, bench corner, forcefully drilling with dull bits, etc just to see what they can handle.

So I am putting this out into the cosmos that if anyone who has received my blanks in the past, and have had them break apart, to please contact me for replacement. I do keep a list of those people I have sold to, by the way.

It is my intention to grow The Woodshed Pen Co on honesty and good products. Each blank that comes from here is made only by me, one at a time. There is no one to blame if something goes wrong. Each blank that leaves here goes forward with my name attached to it and that is very important to me. I want to have a good reputation for a good, affordable product that I would make into a pen myself.

I can be sleazy and make some decent money now by selling shiny but crappy products. But I'd rather develop and grow the business for the long term based on a solid product and good service.

So, all that being said, if there are any other turners that have bought from me and have had problems with the blanks themselves, please contact me.

Mike Allen
Woodshedpens@gmail.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

When PR gets really cold it gets really brittle. A blank that will bounce off the floor in summer may shatter in an unheated shop in winter. This may have nothing to do with your blank that broke, but since it's winter it might be something to consider.

Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It is also possible for a PR blank to develop hairline fractures while drilling. This is not a fault of the blank, it comes with the territory with PR and the process of drilling.

When any PR is dropped, it is a "crap-shoot". Most of the time it will survive, but it CAN break. We are making "fine writing instruments", which means proper handling should preclude falling on concrete floors. Accidents happen, but your Toyota dealer will not replace your car if you run it into a concrete abutment--that falls under "unanticipated treatment" of your fine vehicle.

endacoz

I have had more than 2 Inlace Acrylester (from woodturningz.com) crack when they have hit the floor in the past few years. I just figured certain resins were more brittle and therefore I needed to be extra careful with them.

I have not had any regular "acrylic" (i assume PR) crack on me from hitting the floor, nor has alumilite ever cracked on me.

(am I the only one that ever has blanks hit the floor?) I now try extra hard to keep my blanks from rolling or falling to the floor.

jttheclockman

Ed said it best we are making fine writing instruments so care must be taken when working with the components we need to make the pens. If you are that prone to dropping things then have a rubber mat under your feet where you work on your pens. It is not up to the vendor or the person who makes the blanks to baby sit your materials. They do not make bullet prove blanks. Accidents do happen and many times you read on here that the vendor who sold the blanks will step up and replace but that is on their dime.

Cracks can develop in the drilling process, the assembly process or even the storage process. The bottom line is take your time and take care in what you are doing. You are in control. Yes some woods are just prone to cracking but be mindful of them and there are at times work arounds. Good luck and happy turning.

MikeinSC

I would rather err on the side of caution and not assume that an end user is the cause of the broken blank. However, if a repeat customer continuously reports an issue and no one else does, then I would not be so apt to take responsibility.

As it stands, I feel that I make a good product from a good material. And as I continue to grow the business, I want that reputation to grow as well.

Top Bottom