acrylic blanks & cold weather?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

steamshovel

I received some acrylic blanks and have tried to turn them (pen blanks) and they fall apart when turning. My question is, does cold weather have anything to do with turning of acrylics? It's like a catch and half of the turning comes off. I use a sharp easy wood tool square carbide cutter. I have never had this problem before. The temp in my shop is anywhere from 32 to 40 when I turn.

Preston

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GRMiller

I actually discussed a cracking issue with deer antler about cold weather a few days back. About the expansion and contracting due to being cold and getting warm again. After a brief discussion with my son who had the pen that cracked he had left it in the truck and it was getting quite cold at night then took the pen into work where it was warm. I might think it may have something to do with it but can't say for sure.
I used to work in a plastic injection mold factory. I was in charge of handling a Mil product value a day, We actually had like 50 dryers for keeping moisture content out. I thought they was pulling my foot at first. after seeing what wet plastic will do makes you understand. I am interested to see what others have to say.
The other is contact who you got the order from maybe they just had a bad batch.

healeydays

Hi preston,

Yes they will, but to help them along, are you cutting the corners off prior to turning? Also do you have a toaster oven or even a heating pad to help them warm up? Both can be usually picked cheap at a local thrift store.

Mike B

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Acrylic Acetate will react to cold less than Polyresin or Alumilite (in fact, I have no experience with Alumilite--so they are not part of this answer).

YES COLD AFFECTS TURNING PLASTIC---DON'T DO IT!!! MINIMUM temp I would use is 50F, 70 would be much better.

steamshovel

I cut the corners off on my band saw and my rpm's are about 1,800 and I TAKE IT SLOW with the cutting tool. I can warm them up a bit and see how it goes. I always have it cold in my shop but warm it up in the mornings so my wife can come out to see what is going on.

Thanks, Preston

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'd suggest you get a heater.

"Torpedo" type that run on kerosene were my favorite---heat up the place fairly quickly.
Also STORE all your blanks in the house, only bring them into the shop long enough to turn them.

Additionally, the faster they rotate (RPM), the less time it will take to turn them and the less they will be subjected to the cold. So, while I agree with the "light cuts", I would have them rotating as fast as my lathe could go.

The only thing I can suggest other than the other replies is you might try a radius cutter instead of the square. To me the two inch radius eliminates catches and really gives a very smooth finish.

Top Bottom