Acrylic Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

With the crillion designs that are available, how does one go about offering the options to a customer without having to make, well, a crillion pens? Are there pictures from manufacturers that can be ordered that don't show prices?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgibb42

The only thing I know of that comes close is the sales brochure that Penn State offers. On the back page there are labeled thumbnails of all the wood blanks, corn cobs, etc. on one side and all their acrylic blanks on the other side.

Russianwolf

Easy, don't offer the Crillion types. I had a customer wanting a yellow pen and sent him 37 pictures of everything I could find that was kinda or semi yellow. I literally overloaded both of us. After talking with him a bit, I ordered some from Dawn and he had no regrets.

But If you intend to post a pic of every option, I would suggest turning a rod every time you get something new in and posting that. That way you show what you have in stock and know is available at the time and give the person an idea of what a pen will look like without making a pen.

Daniel

As one that started down this path of offering everything. My advice is don't. The blanks that are offered by even the various big suppliers changes way to fast. The pen kits also change with time just not as quickly. I have thought of doing a display that shows all the blanks I have to offer but this would work only in face to face interaction with the customer and then only if they are willing to wait for their pen to be made. It has also taken some of the fun out of pen making when I have to make them after the sale all the time. I still do it but my web site is so out of date that it is three times the work to find just what the customer wants. I now tell them that the blanks shown on my web site are just an idea of what is available.

Rollerbob

Mike, good point. Only problem with this particular customer, she hasn't a clue what she wants. I have a fair variety, but nothing that seemed to tweek her interest. A bit frustrating for sure but this lady wants several pens. Just trying to get her off center. Only color she has commited to is one pink, go figure!!

Rollerbob

Daniel, I was typing as you posted. I do't really want to throw out everything that is out there. But, trying to find some way to get her to commit other than holding a gun to her head! This is strictly a hobby for me, but you and others know if you make a darn pen and someone sees it then you feel obligated to offer your services.

hewunch

I got a sheet from Woodturningz with all their acrylic blanks on it. I have it in a sheet protector.

Daniel

Ahhhh, K I get it you are trying to put something together for a specific customer. My experience would be much like Mike above. But other than simply owning a whole slew of exampels, which i do now after years of this. it is pretty hard to give to much of a selection. it is some work but if you break down the blanks by color and style it makes it easier. try to get one of every style and one of every color, rather than every color in every style. hope that makes since. this at least gives you a basic way to show people what is available.

Texatdurango

Visiting this site you can pull up and zoom up on a chart showing lots of their colors, this might help as examples but I wouldn't go to the trouble of pulling up hundreds more.

http://woodpenpro.com/acrylic_pen_blanks/0325_acrylic_blanks_5_inch_super.html

I found that by offering more and more choices, the people just get more confused. Having a few dozen pens on hand of different types and letting them pick one eventually works.

Top Bottom