acrylic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hehndc

I'm getting the bug to try acrylic resin, the colors look good. After doing some reading, I get the impression that not all acrylic blanks are not created equal.

What recommendations would you give for a source of blanks?

Thank you in advance for your advise.

Steve

JohnU

Steve some are resin some are alumilite. Resins are more brittle but can shine very nice with some TLC. Just dont get into a hurry with any poured blanks and read up on sanding them wet at a slow speed. Also, watch what colors might show the brass tube inside. You might want to paint some of your tubes. Also, drill slowly, backing out the bit to clear the patch. Dont get the blank to hot when drilling or sanding, or it will melt and break away from the tubes. Good luck!

stevers

Steve,
You have acrylics, celluloid's, polyester resin's, alumilite and a few more diff types. The poly resin's and celluloid's are generally easier to turn. Softer and more forgiving, but harder to make shine and keep a shine on. The acrylics shine very nice but are a little tougher to turn. They are much more brittle and prone to chipping. I personally prefer PR and celluloid's. They may be a better bet for a newer turner. This is just my opinion and can be taken how ever you like. Others may come along with diff opinions, so take them all and go for it. You will love the man made materials. The colors and patterns are endless. Have fun and let us know if you need any help while you get going with them.

Top Bottom