Acrylic Blank Manufacturer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jpreed00

Hi! My name is Jeremy and I own a small custom knife making company. We have recently begun using acrylic pen blanks (the very ones you guys use to turn pens) as handle material for some of our smaller knives. I've attached some photos of a couple knives that use the blanks.

What I would like to know is if any of you guys know the name of the manufacturer of these pen blanks. What I'm trying to do is locate the source so I can purchase uncut sheets of the material so we can use it for larger knives and in more exotic shapes. I understand that the majority of acrylic pen blanks are manufactured in Taiwan, but Google has been rather unhelpful in tracking down the source.

Specifically, the source of this lava style pen blank would be particularly useful:
Bear Tooth Woods - Lava Acrylic Pen Blank

We made a knife with the above pen blank and haven't heard the end of it. It's apparently a pretty popular style.

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• penblanknife.jpg
    penblanknife.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 364
  • penblankknife2.jpg
    penblankknife2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 298
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Welcome Jeremy from WV

I can't help you with the manufacturer but, there is some GREAT casters here that make some really nice blanks, they might be able to help you.

Harry (good looking knives) M

Curly

Welcome Jeremy. I know that Richard Greenwald makes a tough blank material called Flexigran you might want to play with. I'm sure he would be happy to supply you with the sheet sizes you need. Other vender here would have sheet stock that they normally cut up may also sell some slabs to you. We also have quite a number of casters that can make casts from Alumilite and acrylics that you should look into.

JohnGreco

Hi Jeremy- I've been contacted a few times by the companies that make those blanks asking if I want to buy from them directly....I'll try hunting that info down but I think the emails are long gone, so it may take a little sleuthing.

jpreed00

Hi Jeremy- I've been contacted a few times by the companies that make those blanks asking if I want to buy from them directly....I'll try hunting that info down but I think the emails are long gone, so it may take a little sleuthing.

That would be great! Thanks!

penmaker56

Hi Jeremy, FLEXIGRAN sheets are 7 7/8" x 12 1/8" x 3/4" nominal, the material is quite tough, it is definitely not your standard acrylic, but it machines well, you can PM me if you're interested.
Richard

rblakemore

Good morning; the Lava Explosion pen blanks are from Eugene Soto with Amalgamated Mutts Blanks. He has made several for me and are great. You can find his web site; he also has an entry the pen turners marketplace.

Top Bottom