Acrylic Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Watch out adding water to woods .... can cause swelling of the blank, and shrinking during drying after the pen has been finished will result in it being out-of-round ...

I started using gorilla glue with great results. I have not had a single blow out since changing from epoxy and CA. I give the drilled blank a quick dunk in water before inserting the glued up tube. This is not enough moisture penetration to cause any issues with a wood blank. The foam out from poly glue is very easy to clean up.

I may have to eat my shorts for this , but with that much success, and as much tear out I get with this red oak tree I cut, I may have to rethink the large black primate glue.

As they say ... every glue has it's place ... and every dog has it's day.

I've still never used anything for glue-up other than CA, and I have only had a few issues with acrylics so far (released).

Planning on getting some penmaker's superglue (the stuff with rubberized agents in it)... they say that works much better for holding the tube to the barrels.

TurtleTom

As they say ... every glue has it's place ... and every dog has it's day.

I've still never used anything for glue-up other than CA, and I have only had a few issues with acrylics so far (released).

Planning on getting some penmaker's superglue (the stuff with rubberized agents in it)... they say that works much better for holding the tube to the barrels.[/QUOTE]

"Penmaker's super glue". Wow! We've got our OWN glue now? No scary hairy primates? We're really going grass roots here, in another ten years we'll have to show our IAP membership card to vote. :wink:
I think I can afford that. I hope it is less runny........and doesn't foam.
Thanks again, Skie.

kaydubya

Watch out adding water to woods .... can cause swelling of the blank, and shrinking during drying after the pen has been finished will result in it being out-of-round ...

I started using gorilla glue with great results. I have not had a single blow out since changing from epoxy and CA. I give the drilled blank a quick dunk in water before inserting the glued up tube. This is not enough moisture penetration to cause any issues with a wood blank. The foam out from poly glue is very easy to clean up.

I may have to eat my shorts for this , but with that much success, and as much tear out I get with this red oak tree I cut, I may have to rethink the large black primate glue.

Give Magilla a try, Tom - and let's know how it goes! :wink:

TurtleTom

Give Magilla a try, Tom - and let's know how it goes! :wink:[/QUOTE]

In desperation borne of the horrors that were sure to begin with fingernails on blackboards yet again.....I ordered Penn State Pen Turner's glue.

Top Bottom