acrylic acetate directions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gc

Having done several wood pens I want to try the acrylic pens and need directions on gluing, turning and finishing them. The book that I have only describes turning the wooden type. Any suggestions appreciated. thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lkorn

Acrylics get hot and will melt. GO SLOW!!!
That said its all the same. I use CA to glue the tubes.
Turn taking light cuts. The plastic comes off in strings and wraps around the mandrel. Keep this clear. sand to MM 12000.
Plastic polish. Assemble

wayneis

I make quite a few acrylics and I find that if I squirt water into the hole that it keeps the blank cool. Another thing that helps a lot is to hold the vacume hose to the bit so that it is drawering cool air to the bit as it is turning, this helps big time. Back the bit out of the blank very often clearing the debre off it. Extra sharp tools are a must when turning any of the plastics, acrylics. Lastly what I do is to wet sand with water, this does two things, it keeps the blank cool and next it lubricates.

Wayne

woodscavenger

Does plastic polish really add that much to the end product. So far in the few that I have done I have merely sanded with MM to 12000 and called it good. They look great to me.

PenWorks

I think, if you done your sanding right to 12000, the final finish is good and completely acceptable.
I also think, the polish (I use Hut) and I also buff, do make a subtle difference for the better.

driften

After 12000mm I buff with Tripoli and White Diamond and it makes a real diffrence.
You get a clarity and details that were hidden before show up. Don't get me wrong
there are no scraches left after the sanding but the polished version is better!

Its cheep to do. Get bboone to make you up his adapter to put a paint roller on the lathe
and get the polishing compound and you are good to go.

btboone

Anthony, I think you have the plastic ones confused with the limited edition titanium ones. I'm taking loan applications for those now. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom