acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent

I have not turned any acrylic, just can't get interested in plactic. But I was wondering how it sells compaired to wood. Maybe this would be a good poll question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pen-turners

Brent,
Personally, I sell just as many acrylics as I do wooden pens. I am not sure why except people like the wild looks to some of them. I think if you add dymondwood in with it I actually sell more of acrylic/dymondwood than I do wood.

Chris

woodwish

It probably sells better but I don't really try to sell anyway. Personally I don't intend to ever turn acrylic, I'm a woodturner. I love the feel, smell, uniqueness, etc. of wood. Plastics do nothing for me. I don't intend to be a "wood snob", it is just my preference.

However, I will also admit that some of the pens displayed on this site made of acrylic are beautiful, so I won't say that I will never turn any. Never say never as the saying goes-

PenWorks

Brent, I agree with Chris, I would say half of my pen sales are some form of resins. 40% of my pen inventory is resin. 90% of my pen inventory from other companies are resin and the other 10% metals.

If you look at what the fine pen companies manufacture & sale, I would say 60% resins and 39% metals and 1% wood. They are just now offering a selction of fine woods.

I think most wood turners that do not activly sell, make wood pens. But if you have to peddel your wares, you are missing out on sales by not offering them.

Women probablly account for 75% of my resin pen sales. This is just my experience from my shop. Anthony

Gary Max

Brent---had to say this.
Went and checked out your photos-----what kinda tree do corn cobs grow on--hehehe.
Any how the reason I added to this post is because I am getting ready to become one of those people who turn resins.
I do not see how they could outsale wood but everyone else can't be wrong. My #1 selling pen so far is the slimline and they want it simple. And the wood is Cedar. Of course this is only what I am selling and I am kinda new at this still.

Brent

Your percentages really surprize me. I didn't think they would be that high. I have talked to people here in my area about the resins and showed them pictures since I don't have any. And I know it would be better if I had some that they could pick up and touch. But all of them want the wood. Except for a few that I made of corn cob.

Brent

Gary, inreply to your question,your right corn cobs do not grow on trees. but they do start out life by sprouting from the ground and growing to what they become. My question to you is how deep and how far apart do you have to plant those bowling balls

wayneis

In my experence, the Ladies like the acrylics only choosing wood when it is a gift for a man. Men on the other hand usually only want the woods unless it's a gift for a Lady. The exceptions are the Dymondwood, Steelwood and a couple woods that I have found that the Ladies seem to like. The pink ivory of course is a big one for the Ladies, and I also have stabilized dyed American holly that is really nice. Unfortunately I didn't get much of the dyed stabilized holly and I don't know where to get anymore and I only have a couple blanks left.

Wayne

Fred in NC

Wayne, that is pretty much what I found out.

In my case, most of my buyers have been women getting a gift for a man, so most of my sales have been woods. I sold out of the few acrylics I made earlier in the year. I will have to remember to make a few more acrylics for my inventory, which is very low of everything right now.

Most acrylic blanks I find are 5/8", and that limits the styles I can make out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom