Acrylester - Thoughts on this product?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

putnamm

I typically buy my acrylic blanks from Woodcraft, just because their store is closer to my home. However, I was recently in a Rockler store and picked up what I thought were just another couple of acrylic pen blanks.

When I got home I noticed they had labels that said "Acrylester." Again, I didn't think anything of it; just assumed it's a different acrylic product.

I drilled both of these blanks like I have drilled every other acrylic blank previously. Note that I have never had an acrylic blank "blow out" on me; I'm batting 1.000 on drilling acrylic.

Both of these "Acrylester" blanks blew out on me, one of them pretty severely. It ended up with about a 3/4" divot in the bottom end.

I'm wondering what the prevailing wisdom is on this product. Is it considered better/worse than other products? Do you have any tips on how to work with it--not just drilling but also turning, sanding and finishing?

Thanks.
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Love it, but didn't start to enjoying consistent success until I started using HSS instead of carbide and ditched the barrel trimmer for a sanding jig, A third of my blanks are acrylace/inlace. Regardless of how opaque some may appear/be, I always paint the inside of the barrel. I als take mt time drilling the holes with high quality bits.

However, many do fine using carbide, barrel trimmers, etc...I just couldn't get consistent results (about 50% blew out while trimming or turning)

I think it is one of the best deals out there if one can turn it.

putnamm

By HSS vs. carbide you are referring to your turning tools, yes? In that case I've got it covered, as HSS is all I have!

Sounds like I'll need to invest in some paint, though...

TonyL

Some don't paint the barrels, some don't paint the tubes, some don't paint anything. Unless it is wood, I paint it. That is just me. Naturally the HSS has to be very sharp. I may sharpen by gouges and skews 4 to 6 times per barrel. Again...some turners may not doing any of this. What I am saying is you will probable get other very good advice. I am just one person. I finish it the same way I do AA blanks. It finishes beautifully. I am making an off white/pearl pen for a female client.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
+1 on Tony's advice re tools, technique & painting

I will say that I do use my carbide tools on Inlace Acrylester blanks, even thought that is not generally recommended. I use a different approach to the blank than for other types of acrylic or wood though & it works for me.

There are a number of threads on painting blanks & tubes. I simply use Krylon acrylic spray paints - about a 2 sec squirt into the drilled tube from each end and let it cure at least a day or two before gluing in the tube.

Here's a link to the Inlace Acrylester pen blank page at Woodturningz. There is a clickable link on that page to download a pdf with their recommended instructions for working with these blanks.

Inlace Acrylester Blanks - Woodturningz

jjjaworski

Just a note on the paint procedure:

I usually tint my epoxy as well as painting brass tubes and inside of the blanks. It takes no time to do and gives me an added cushion.

I will use a small mdf scrap to back up the end of the blank if I am concerned with chip-out as the drill bit exits. I drill on my lathe and take it easy and use soapy water to cool and lubricate on blanks like this.

It may take a bit extra time but my time isn't worth much, just ask a customer *G*

jjjaworski

I add a little liquid soap to water in a spray bottle. I spray as I drill the hole.

I have seen some duck call makers use automatic transmission fluid as a lubricant when drilling the hole in an acrylic call blank.

Inlace Acrylester

This product is actually patented by WoodTurningz (WoodTurningz) and they are the only producer of that formulae. We are a reseller for them and carry all sizes from 5/8" shorts to 1"x1"x6".

It is a more brittle product than normal acrylic and does require a different turning approach. My grandson does all of my acrylester turning and using a bit faster speed on the lathe has no issue with the barrel trimmers except for the 7mm which is a design issue with any type of blank. He also drills using a lathe and not a drill press. I don't believe he has ever blown one by drilling or barrel turning. When turning he uses carbide only and sets the speed at least at 2400 rpm and never starts a cut from either end of the blank. Always start inbound of the end and work outwards. We have never had to use a lubricant and his turning blowout rate is approximately 10%.

These are the prettiest translucent blanks on the market and we sell 100's of them a week

Mike Kelly

Wood & Acrylic Supply – Wood & Acrylic Supply

mecompco

Very good advice above. I blew up a few before figuring them out.

Drill slow, keeping bit and blank cool. Don't even think about drilling all the way through the blank--drill just a bit long, then cut the blank off with the band saw.

I, too, paint blank, tube, and epoxy.

I turn everything at full speed, seems to work better.

Keep tools really sharp.

Sand at slow speed, polish at full speed.

That's my method, FWIW.

Regards,
Michael

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
All of the responses are good and worthy of your consideration. I live close to WoodTurningz and use a lot of the Inlace/Acrelester material. I suggest you call WoodTurningz (its toll free) and discuss the process with Fritz, Patrick or Ryan, the owner. They are super helpful and willing to assist.
WB

TonyL

If you have a Skype account, I will turn and finish one with you watching. In fact, I have to make an Atrax out of Acrylester/inlace.

Love the product. Gives an amazing finish when polished properly.
Agree with above advice, esp the comments on sharp bits. Want to add that it made a big change for me when I started drilling exclusively with twist drill bits (absolutely no Brad point bits).
I whined so much about this last year that LOML bought me a Drill Dr for Christmas :smile-big: which makes it EASY to keep those bits sharp.

Last edited:

vakmere

For me it wasn't the drilling it was the turning. Successful on a couple and fractured on the others. A little too much effort for something that brittle. Stopped buying them. IMO they don't really add anything looks wise to what I make so I opted out.

WriteON

Note that I have never had an acrylic blank "blow out" on me; I'm batting 1.000 on drilling acrylic.

Both of these "Acrylester" blanks blew out on me, one of them pretty severely. It ended up with about a 3/4" divot in the bottom end.

Once you get by the drilling it's the turning that bites you. I had these blow out repeatedly until I developed a touch and learned how to move like a snail with airbrakes and take gentle strikes. They are beautiful when finished. Not my favorite to work with.

Pat Keefe

I've had no problem with Acrylester. For all Acrylic pen blanks, I hand drill one end for a few millimeters (1/8") and then drill from the other end at about 300-400 rpm, clearing the hole every 10mm (3/8"). Yes it is slow, but I try to minimise any heat build up in any Acrylics, as I find the swarf can ream the opening to grossly oversized, if it melts to the drill bit upon extraction.

Turning wise, I run at 3900rpm for pens and bottle stoppers, sharp tools and light hands. Rough using a 32mm (1 1/4) spindle gouge and finish with 10mm (3/8) spindle gouge or either a 32mm or 12mm skew. Sanding is done with Abranet from 120 - 800 at 300rpm, then wet micro mesh to 12000 at 3900rpm.

You are trying to sculpt a flower petal, not build a bridge. :laugh:

Attachments

• Pink Sky01.jpg
    Pink Sky01.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Pink Sky02.jpg
    Pink Sky02.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 138

Houtkop

I have only turned 2 off cut pieces that I combined with some African Blackwood. I was lucky that I had all the chipping right at the start of the turn, and could get them turned out by the time I got down to size. I can only echo the other advice here, round the edges on a sander first, start turning in the middle and slow shallow cuts on the ends. The finished product is worth the extra effort.

Top Bottom