Acoustic Guitar Inlay Advice Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tage

Hi,
I emailed Kallenshaan with these questions as well, but was hoping to start this pen tonight, so I thought I'd get some advice from here as well. We ordered one of the acoustic guitar blanks and it's more complicated than I thought it would be. A gift for my son's guitar teacher. I'm a little confused about the directions:

1) It states to use a butane lighter to get rid of any bubbles in the epoxy that fills the sound hole. I can't envision taking a lighter to the pen blank. Does anyone have experience with this?

2) In the directions it does not indicate gluing the pieces to the tube, with the exception of filling the sound hole with epoxy and applying thin CA to the seams when the pieces are on the tube. I'm worried that this will lead to an inadequate glue job and the (very expensive) blank blowing up on the lathe.

Also, any tips on adding the frets would be helpful. This looks difficult.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert Taylor

It is indeed a pretty tough kit. The lighter does make the epoxy flow smooth and the bubbles disappear. Just wave it over the epoxy quickly and you will be surprised. When you do the seams with CA flood it until you can't get any more in. A lot of the laser kits are like this. I use tweezers to add the foil for the frets. And most of all use sharp tools and go slow. Good Luck

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
Have you contacted the manufacturer other than e-mails...calls...anything? Come on...call the people that made it...step up and ask questions. Despite the fact that you say you e-mailed them, get on the phone and take a stand...it's not that hard. Don't blame me because you haven't.

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
C'mon Jim. That was uncalled for.

I'm taking a stand and calling you out for this crap. Knock it off.

Brian...get over it. Call the people that make the stuff and move on. Why ask if someone else has done it?? Do it and become educated. Support, don't coddle.

Tage

Have you contacted the manufacturer other than e-mails...calls...anything? Come on...call the people that made it...step up and ask questions. Despite the fact that you say you e-mailed them, get on the phone and take a stand...it's not that hard. Don't blame me because you haven't.

I would normally do this. I wasn't clear when I posted originally. Just got the kit and due to time crunch I wanted to get it started tonight when I got home from work. I figured the manufacturer would not get to it until tomorrow am. Nothing against them at all just figured I would get a quick response here. No harm in asking the question.

Besides, you get a different perspective here.

Last edited:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Dave, I have made a couple of the guitar kits and a lot of the other laser kits. Here's what works for me; I insert the tube getting it spaced equally from both ends of the large "mother" piece. I put a few drops of thin CA on the tube wood junction to lock it in place. I use a needle to pick up and set the pieces in place and a drop of thin CA to hold the pieces in place. I found out the hard way to trim pieces where needed using an Exacto or a scalpel NOT sand paper, I didn't use the butane on the filled hole and thought the epoxy looked good without it. As was stated, use a tweezers to put the fret bars in place. You will most likely break the neck of the guitar but it will glue back in place and not be seen. I also didn't use the little rubber bands after the first kit, they were a nuisance. Go slow (it took me about 1 1/2 hrs to complete it ready to turn) and get your self some sort of magnifier device, I use Optivisor (see below) with a #4 lens, about $30 0n Amazon and worth every cent. When I get it all glued up I flood it with CA until it won't take any more then I let it set for an hour at room temp. I hit it lightly on the belt sander to take off the sharp catchy edges then turn and CA finish; high speed and really sharp tools, no carbide tools. These kits are fun and I have used some from others than Kallenshaan but like theirs best. I found the German Shepherd kit to be twice as hard as the guitar, it was a challenge. Good luck, the pen will most surely be appreciated. I had the recipient's initials engrave on it too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ield-keywords=optivisor&sprefix=optiv,aps,285

WB

Tage

Thanks WB. I like the needle and magnification ideas. Started it last night so far the sound board broke, but it will be fine glued on the tube. Started the fretboard, but haven't broken it yet.

I also heard back from the manufacturer whose advice was to hit the epoxy for only a second and it will get air bubbles out. That's tonight's job, along with finish the fretboard and get it all glued. Hopefully will turn it Wed.

Thanks to all.

dwilson

Tage said
"1) It states to use a butane lighter to get rid of any bubbles in the epoxy that fills the sound hole."

I am new to pen turning but have made many flyrods and this is how you remove bubbles from the epoxy on the guide wraps. Quickly go back and forth with the bottom of the flame (the blue part) , not the tip of the flame, as you can get carbon in the epoxy.
Doug

Krash

Jim - it seems like you appreciated constructive input in your previous post.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/decal-thoughts-needed-117770/

This is a great place to discuss, ask, and encourage. Let's keep it that way.

Top Bottom