Accelerator shelf life

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

I understand that CA has a shelf life that is effected by many mitigating factors (temperature, humidity, alignment of the planets, etc.), but what about the accelerator? Does accelerator for CA "expire"?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I understand that CA has a shelf life that is effected by many mitigating factors (temperature, humidity, alignment of the planets, etc.), but what about the accelerator? Does accelerator for CA "expire"?

I'm not sure it expires or not, what I can tell you that, the good stuff Monty was selling, goes from clear to dark yellow, after a few months and I reckon, that is the first sign of something that isn't good...!

I hope Monty can shed some light on this...!

Cheers
George

pianomanpj

I'm not sure it expires or not, what I can tell you that, the good stuff Monty was selling, goes from clear to dark yellow, after a few months and I reckon, that is the first sign of something that isn't good...!

I hope Monty can shed some light on this...!

Cheers
George

That's precisely why I'm asking! My accelerator (from Monty) is beginning to discolor. If it's purely cosmetic, than I'll continue to use for "structural" purposes, and get some new accelerator for doing CA finishes. If it ISN'T any good at all, than I'll gladly toss it and just buy some new for all purposes.

Would keeping it in the refrigerator extend its shelf life?

Thanks, all!

I can't answer your questions as to shelf life, but I bought all my glues and accelerators from Monty before he close down... never had a problem with any except a bottle of 5 min epoxy that got discolored and per his instructions, sent back to mfgr who replaced it no questions asked.... I used to buy accelerator in the 16 ounce bottles, 2 or 3 at a time and they sat in my uncooled, unheated metal building shop year round... never noticed any problems with either the CA or accelerator.

robutacion

EZ Bond assured me that just even though it turned yellow, it was still good. I personally have used some over a year old with no problems.

Thanks for your input Monty, I'm on my last 3 x 8oz bottles from my last order before you could no longer send it by air, I can't remember exactly how many bottles were send but I believe was over 2 dozen.

Interestingly, the first bottle to show some yellow, was only a few weeks after they arrived, which would be maybe 5 or 6 weeks from when you sent them and I kept an eye on any that show any colour changes and use the first.

Those and a couple more that I had more recently, where used as normal and didn't seem to work any different than the bottles that stay clear but, I always wondered, how long would take for them to start changing colour and become useless as everything as a shelve life.

This has to do with the need to make large orders to make shipping a little more viable but, a big risk in the products shelve lives are reached while unused, that will/would not only spoil any savings made but incur into a loss, that ain't good...!

You damn if you do and damn if you don't, type thing, huh...???:frown:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom