Accelerator?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

I see alot of people talking about CA finishes who say "Don't use paper towels" or "Don't use cotton" or etc....etc.... because the cellulose fibers act as an accelerator.....

So am I missing something.....? Isn't wood...... MADE of cellulose fibers?

Just curious.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

I not so sure if it's the actual fibers, or it is the chemicals/enzymes used to free the fibers so that they can make the paper towel.

Pens By Scott

I use Bounty Paper towels with the CA Glue. This does cause a reaction, in fact it comes close to setting fire at times... The Accelerator doesn't come in contact with the paper towels, save the one I use to clear any excess accelerator off with.

shawnmhill

I use the blue "Shop Towels" you get at HD or Lowes. They work great for me. Never tried toilet paper, heard of someone trying it. I would think it would leave a lot of lint behind.

If not the paper towels, then what is suggested? I'm always up for new tricks.

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
The plastic bags that hold the components your pen kits come in.

You'll find you use so much less CA to cover a pen blank.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with using paper towels... I just used the plastic bags and kind of liked the results (it lets me get a thicker coat).

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
Same technique as if you were using paper towels, just use the little plastic bags vs. the paper towel. I have read of other people using wax paper as well.

You like my little signature guy (you'll notice he changes each time the page refreshes)? Heh, he's a fun little bit of coding magic I picked up over at www.danasoft.com because they did such a nice job and I was too lazy to write my own php code. You can go there and get the skinny about it or get your own... But if you don't feel like following the link here is the deal. The info you see is info you (and everyone) give every web site you visit. The info is the same info I see... Only about myself and I don't see anyone else's info. The data you see is just basically mirror of the data you send to the server, but because forums are "dynamic" web sites and they "give and take" bits of data (cookies) so they know who you are when you are signed in, the coding in my signature merely reflects that info directly back to you. In some ways its really creepy... But that data/info has been given to every web site you have visited since the the beginning of the web, so it's nothing new.

The plastic bags that hold the components your pen kits come in.

You'll find you use so much less CA to cover a pen blank.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with using paper towels... I just used the plastic bags and kind of liked the results (it lets me get a thicker coat).

I don't use the little bags, but use the same concept... I save and cut up the sheets of foam wrap that comes around new electronics... I've saved enough by now that I'll never run out... the CA doesn't soak in, so you use less and I get a better coating on the wood.

I tried to use the little bags a few years back, but I can never get them open... my fingers just aren't as dexterous as they used to be..:). so I just tear them open now... :)

sgimbel

The bounty paper towells smoke when hit with CA. I get the blue shop towells from Sam's and they are "lint free" and they don't smoke when hit with CA.

ctubbs

I tried using just nitrel gloves that I was using anyway. Just let the CA slide across the tip of the finger. It seems to work pretty well. I'll find out later when the sanding starts.

DurocShark

Discovered something about the plastic baggies yesterday...

DON'T USE WITH THIN CA!!!

Instantly got hot enough to melt the baggie onto my finger. Left a blister with melted-in plastic inside. I shall now keep the thin ca in a separate location from the thick ca (similar bottles). Maybe spray paint the thin ca bottle fire engine red or something. Yikes!

nava1uni

Any CA will melt if you leave it on long enough. I use the the close cell plastic wrap. It is similar to the plastic bags, which I also use. I do use less then when using paper towels. What makes the paper towels act as an accelerator is that there is moisture in the towels and that interacts with the CA.

Timbo

I see alot of people talking about CA finishes who say "Don't use paper towels" or "Don't use cotton" or etc....etc.... because the cellulose fibers act as an accelerator.....

So am I missing something.....? Isn't wood...... MADE of cellulose fibers?

Just curious.

Yes..they're all made of cellulose, the difference is mainly due to surface area. The more surface exposed to the CA, the faster it will set. Paper towels and cotton are made of loosly bound individual fibers. Pound for pound they each have many, many times more surface exposed to the CA, than a solid piece of wood.
Would you believe Corian is an accellerator also...try this experiment. Spread some medium CA on a piece of Corian and see how long it takes to set. Create a little pile of sanding dust from a simular piece of Corian, then mix it with a few drops of CA. The dust will have much more surface area then the solid chunck, and the CA will set almost before you can get it mixed (I used Glacial White corian in my case).

Top Bottom