Acacia Wood Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I want to make a pen for my pastor and his wife. Is acacia wood easy to turn? Is it pretty? Does it have to be stabilize?

Thank you!

I do know about the other woods commonly made for pastors, but I want to see what acacia is like due to a message he delivered this Sunday,

Thanjs again!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Acacia is a family name for several species. Koa is a member of that family as is Black Acacia. Both of those turn nicely.

There are several species in the deserts of the Sinai and north Africia. Some of those are difficult to obtain and some are considered endangered.

TonyL

Thanks Dan... but everyone tuns that. The acacia wood "want" relates directly to his message. I will try to find it. Should I assume it needs to be stabilized?

Ans thank you Ken...that is great information!

Dan Masshardt

Thanks Dan... but everyone tuns that. The acacia wood "want" relates directly to his message. I will try to find it. Should I assume it needs to be stabilized? Ans thank you Ken...that is great information!

If you find something interesting from the right place, let me know. I might be interested. I like that you want to connect it to something soecific.

The right piece of olive is never dissappointing. Keep in mind we see it as turners doesn't mean everyone else does.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
As noted, there are about 1000 species of acacia in the world - about half native to Australia & the rest scattered around the world. The acacia that is mentioned in the Bible is generally believed to be the shittim tree that grows in the Sinai Desert. If you really want some of that specific wood, one source for it is Griffin Exotics Wood
Biblical woods, shittim wood, olivewood from Griffin Exotic Wood

Some acacias are quite common and some are quite rare. The Huisache tree that grows in south Texas is a very common acacia and I have a lot of it on my farm. It's quite thorny & the trees are small and the logs tend to split badly while drying so the wood is rarely seen in pen blank or other wood working forms, but it is very pretty wood and turns quite easily. Like most any other wood, if it's a good solid piece, there's no need for stabilizing.

Cmiles1985

I bought some Shittim Acacia not long ago...only three blanks as it was a bit spendy! I made two pens with one blank so far (segmented with IBO for contrast). It was easy to turn, not figured much, but it's certainly not a wood to buy for figure. It is great for the reference though.

robutacion

I agree with edohmann, Australia has it fair share of Acacias, and I live in the heart of where they are abundant and native.

The Acacia you are referring to is a very specific one, as mentioned already, I have seen lots of places where they are selling a wood with that name however, I can not confirm/validate its origin or genuity...!

As far as I know, that Acacia is very dense and quite plain, no need to harden it, at all...!

Cheers
George

keithbyrd

I have a friend in the wood flooring business that gave me several pieces of acacia wood flooring. PM an address and I will send you a couple blanks. While not super figured it does have some nice grain - very hard but nice to turn

Attachments

• acacia.jpg
    acacia.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 210

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Tony,
When I was selling BOW a few years ago, I was able to get shittum wood also, the one from Israel mentioned in the Bible. It turns very easily (does not need stabilization) but is very plain looking unless you get some that has both heart and sap wood in the blank. The one from Israel can be expensive, upward of $10-$15 per blank if you can find any. I don't think I have any, but I can check in the shop later today and let you know if you can't locate a source.

hewunch

If you don't care if it is from Israel, there are Acacia cutting boards and such at walmart. I have cut one up before.

donwatson

I made some Masonic pens for my brothers and used Acacia.
It turned easily and took a good finish with sanding sealer then a Melamine coat.

take care
Don W

TonyL

Thanks again. I have plenty of sources to choose from and many have and some have agreed to part with some of their stock. Thank you all.

Top Bottom