Absolute Beginner - What do I need?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba Dan

I just bought a Jet Mini Lathe, 8" grinder, and some chisels about 2 weeks ago. I've been playing around with spindle turning since then but I really want to try some pens.

I'm a little confused as to what I 'need' to get started. Some things I know I will need are a mandrel, bushings, and some pen kits. From tutorials other things are mentioned (CA glue, trimming tool, etc.) that probably also be needed.

I'm looking for advice on what are the bare bones most basic stuff I need to get started. I'm work on a budget and like to add tools and supplies as I see needed.

Also, searching for this the different supplies and pen sizes/types leaves me a little confused. Is the PSI Basic Starter Set a good affordble way to go? Does anybody besides PSI sell a "starter kit" that contains everything you need?

Thanks from a newbie,
Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fhinde

Bubba, welcome aboard. If you will contact any of the major vendors they will put a package together tailored for what you need. Try the following as a start, all are outstanding vendors and very helpful!

http://pocwoodworking.com/

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/

http://www.woodturningz.com/Main.aspx

If you call them, they will give you the help you need to get started.

Scott

I have bought stuff from each of the vendors Fred mentions above, and they are all great! If you choose to order from Arizona Silhouette, get one of his penturning videos! It is an excellent video, and will really jumpstart your penturning!

Another great video is from our own Russ Fairfield (http://www.woodturner-russ.com/). And his website is great as well!

Good Luck!

Scott.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
One other suggestion... just about everyone starts with slimlines.... I did...
It can be real tough getting the barrells perfectly straight and not blowing them off the tubes because they are sooooo thin...
I would suggest starting with something a bit bigger... a Euro, a Classic or a Cigar...
Pricing on the Cigars right now is fantastic... Arizona Silhouette and Woodturningz have them for $2.95 a kit... best price I have seen anywhere... You will find that they are great kits to make and feel great in the hand.... just my 2 cents worth...

G

I also didn't start with slimliline,American Calssics from Woodcraft.
With anykit where the lower barrel slides into the upper the dimension is critical so that may be good teaching and discipline.
It didn't take me long to see the creative possibilities in slimlines.
If you have a WC near you you can get kits and starte stuff there but it's pricey.
If you want to turn a BUNCH of pen to get them under your belt the slim lines are the best bet but I'd give Woodturningz or Arizona silouhette a call.
Mandrel and adaptor for the size kit you are going to build.If you are not ordering Berea the standard mandrel is fine
Bushings for the kits.
Drill bits for the kits
pen mill
I reccomend Micro mesh but there are ways aroundit,but you'll wind up trying it anyway
CA glue at leastmed and thin but you may as well get a bottle of thick also.
Finish.
I started with HUT Krytal coat but don't care for it.
If you talk to Wood turningz ask about their Mylands finishing products and method.
Or you could just use Carnauba wax.
There is so much experimentation done with finishes it's difficult to say which to get,but I like the Mylands or a CA finish myself.
Oh yeah,
TS111(fomerly known as Presidents Choice)

Randy_

All of the previous comments are on target. A good book or video is a must!! I haven't seen all of the books; but of the ones I've seen, "TURNING PENS AND PENCILS" by Christensen and Burningham is my favorite. $18 at the store; but you can probably do better at www.amazon.com . If you have a woodworking store near you, give consideration to taking a pen turning class.....IMO, well worth the money!!!

Didn't see you mention it; but a drill press is very handy. A tabletop unit with a 3" travel will be just fine; but you can get by with a 2" travel or even just a hand drill. Hand drilling blanks can be tricky....a DP is a much better option if there is room in the budget!!

Welcome to IAP and enjoy your new craft. <b>

WARNING---EXTREME DANGER---CAN BE ADDICTIVE!!</b>

RockyHa

I'm new too. I'm so new I only have the lathe and some turning chisels. I had many of the same questions you have mentioned. I called for the free PSI vidio, and bought Bill Baumbeck's http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/ (Very good, much better than the free PSI video) and all of my questions were answered. I believe once I get the rest of my stuff, whit the help of the video I will have no problems (well guess I should say I should be able to teach myself how to start).
Rocky

G

Diamond stone and you can get a free video at PSI.
With the video you can get a $10.00 off coupon that will come in handy for things like mills etc.

Randy_

I've got a PSI catalog and don't see anything about a free video. They want $21 for them. Checked the web site and see an offer for a free DVD but no video??? DVD doesn't help me since i have yet to buy a player....don't watch many movies!!! Do they offer a free VHS tape??

Carole in VA

Originally posted by Randy.
<br />I've got a PSI catalog and don't see anything about a free video. They want $21 for them. Checked the web site and see an offer for a free DVD but no video??? DVD doesn't help me since i have yet to buy a player....don't watch many movies!!! Do they offer a free VHS tape??

It's not free, but Bill's video is VHS (I didn't realize it was VHS when I ordered it and I don't know if it is available in DVD format or not.) It's a good video, but I find VHS to be a real pain since I moved to DVD years ago. Had to go up in the attic and drag the old dinosaur out, clean the heads, struggle to rewind to portions I wanted to watch again, etc. If you plan on viewing many woodworking/turning videos get yourself a DVD player.

Bmerkle

Hi, there! I am also new at turning. Trust me. You NEED two things to start:

1. Love of turning.
2. Passion for your pens.

The rest will become history! Good luck and I will look for your gallery here, soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom