? about worm a hole

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoles

I started to rough what appeared to be a nice olive wood blank this morning and after getting it rounded a bit, a worm hole appeared running about 1/2 inch the length of the center of the pen barrel. Looks like it may go all the way to the tube. It runs with the grain and the blank has decent figure.

My question is, should I try to salvage the blank and plug this hole or toss it and get another blank in the works? If I try to salvage it, what would be the best approach? CA and shavings or is there a better method?

Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bnoles

CA and sawdust are great together.... no more worm hole and blank came out beautiful.

Thanks for the encouragement guys

kent4Him

If the rest of the blank is one worth saving, fill it. If you don't think it is worth it, let it go. Some of my best pens are ones with unexpected holes or blowouts that I had to deal with creatively.

penodr

Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />If the rest of the blank is one worth saving, fill it. If you don't think it is worth it, let it go. Some of my best pens are ones with unexpected holes or blowouts that I had to deal with creatively.

I agree. I am working on a set of Dogwood pens/pencils for each of my parents ( the wood came from the tree my mother loved that was in the front yard years ago ). The bigest problem I am having is getting blanks that do not have too many holes in them. One of the pens that I have finished has a black bark hole in the side that makes it a one of a kind.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom