? about Pacific Yew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoles

Is Pacific Yew a desirable blank for pen making. I have an opportunity to pick up a few sticks soon and was wondering if it is worth the effort.

Thanks for any advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
All of he pens on my Website instructions are Pacific Yew. It photographs more Orange than it is. Cut the blanks at an angle to accent the grain.

bnoles

Thanks again, Russ. There is something about the simplicity of that wood that draws me to want to turn some. I am certainly going to give it a go.

bnoles, it's bad wood.....you need to send it all to me[:D]. really, i have turned this wood and even some from kentucky and i love it. i have even done mini's from green yew and it did not crack. have fun and we all want to see what you turn from it.

laurie

KenV

I have been turning this and like it - I have a sliced tree from Tongass Island in the garage. The sapwood is cream and makes a nice contrast to the orange-brown heart wood. Hone your tools inside and out to get a clean cut. Nice wood all in all.

Tanner

The interesting thing I read about Pacific Yew is that a substance called Taxol is extracted from the bark and used to fight ovarian cancer. They are also looking for it to fight other cancers as well. I thought if my Aunt had lived a little longer I would have loved to make her a pen out of Yew. Unfortunately she passed before I had a chance. Here is a link I just Found http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1016/is_n7-8_v97/ai_11012477

A very interesting wood.

Boss302

I had a friend bring me a small log back from his deer hunting trip this year and was quite please how the wood turned and finished. If the blanks aren't dry, give them a little (not too much) sunlight and you'll get a nice mixure of a light purple/orange hue--simple but attractive. Too much light and they will just bleach out.

DocStram

I'm a big fan of Yew ... especially that "Royal Yew" that CSUSA was selling. I can't seem to find anything called Royal Yew on the net. But, even the other yews look great if they have a little grain to them. Russ knows.

bnoles

Al,

I am pretty sure (no expert) that the Royal Yew is much different that the Pacific Yew. Isn't the Royal from England or something? I am really looking forward to trying this since seeing Russ's results. There is a luring quality and simpleness about them that kind of draws you in. Can't really explain it other than I just have to try some [:D]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Boss has already described it. Royal Yew is Pacific Yew, but with a purple coloring. It is natural, and seems to be stress related. I find it in the heartwood of old trees. It can also be found in the English Yew, but is rare because the trees are smaller. I don't know which species Craft Supplies is selling.

Some of the color will disappear with time and exposure to sunlight and some of it will turn into a darker orange-brown coloring. It still looks good either way.

UKpenmaker

I have read that the purple colouring in the Yew is caused by an unusual amount of Iron in it, I.e if you find a tree which has grown over round old fencing wire it will become more purple. These are some pieces that i have which shows the purple growth.

200718205953_Yew005.jpg
<br />

DocStram

WooooHoooo Andrew!!! Those are the ones I've been searching for!! Do you happen to know the name of the Yew??? For some reason, CSUSA called those "Royal Yew". I would love to get my hands on a bunch of those.
Mannnn .... green with envy! Dang!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by DocStram
<br />WooooHoooo Andrew!!! Those are the ones I've been searching for!! Do you happen to know the name of the Yew??? For some reason, CSUSA called those "Royal Yew". I would love to get my hands on a bunch of those.
Mannnn .... green with envy! Dang!

Al, I though a learned man such as you would know the answer to this question. Royal Yew comes from England, Yew Cross Border from Mexico, and I Want Yew comes from Hope Arkansas. [}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom