About to get started

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

Okay - I'm doing it. I just listed 11 of my fountain pens for sale over at FPN so I can start funding my little crazy idea.

Whew I'm nervous. I'm going to miss some of those pens.

Really hoping I can get this lathe from my dad and that it will be worth a darn. Will talk to him about it tomorrow during our holiday visit. Will take the van in case I can grab it then and there. :D

Now I just need to start getting a list of all the tools and parts I'll need to turn some kitless pens.

I'll need taps and dies for Meisternib units, cap to barrel and section to barrel, chisels and skews (which ones???), and.... ??? chucks? collets? I have no idea.

Wish me luck selling those pens.

Shawn

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

I dont want to discourage you - there is great satisfaction in using your own creation. However, Trying to jump straight into kitless without having turned a pen before is a tall order. I'm not saying you cant do it, but the normal path is to start with kits and devlop the needed skills through progrsssive kit modifications. There is a great deal to learn, and a lot of it comes from trail and error as there is a lot of nuance that a tutorial can't convey. Tutorials give you a process to start from, but experience is the teacher

There are a number of very nice fountain pen kits you can get, which are much more likely to give you an early success than trying to jump straight to kitless. I would recommend something simple to start, like a sierra style kit. Not and FP, but it gets you familiar with the tools, some turning technique, finishing, and basic pen assembly without a large investment in specialty stuff. Once you are comfortable with those, try a FP kit. The process would be basically the same, just 2 tubes instead of one.

watch_art

Would lots of practice just turning wood and plastic blanks be a good way to go? Not drilling out the insides yet, just making different shapes and bits and pieces. I could turn lots of tiny chair and table legs. :)

I'm nuts aren't I? :biggrin:

Last edited:

soligen

I'm nuts aren't I? :biggrin:

I would say ....... Ambitious.

Yes, there is value to just turning for practice. It is very recomended when learning to finish - especially a CA finish. Personally, I would get bored if I didn't actually make something out of it. There is also much more to pen making than turning. I stick to my recomendation above.

SDB777

Not drilling out the blank first will give you the false feeling that you can plow into a blank without fear. The lack of material holding the blank together will slow you down some....especially in a piece of crosscut timber.

Good luck in your sale over there too!!!

Scott (I'm not that ambitous....yet) B

GrantH

These things are a lot more fragile than the pros here let be known. I've got too far, cut too much, and blown up 2 full (non crucial) pen blanks today. This is my first day :)

watch_art

I think I've read every tutorial on the subject this afternoon. I know what centers are, what collets and chucks are, where to buy them, the taps and dies, the nib unit taps, and I've already known about blanks. I think I'll start old broom handles.

:)

Now to get tools and everything.

By the way - sold my first pen. $175 down! Yeeha!

leehljp

Member Liaison
I think I've read every tutorial on the subject this afternoon. I know what centers are, what collets and chucks are, where to buy them, the taps and dies, the nib unit taps, and I've already known about blanks. I think I'll start old broom handles.

Now to get tools and everything.

By the way - sold my first pen. $175 down! Yeeha!

Take some photos of your pens before you sell them and post them here. No picts - never happened! :big grin: Seriously, we would love to see your work here!

watch_art

My pens currently for sale? Those are here:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/classifieds/item/5402-lot-of-pens-fs-35-250/

Although the pen I just sold wasn't up for sale. A buddy asked - and I did. Will up some pics later.

gallery_41188_9_8089.jpg

gallery_41188_9_232446.jpg

gallery_41188_9_247011.jpg

watch_art

Here's the Edison Huron Grande my friend just bought.
It's a great pen - and I'll miss it, for sure - but it's sacrificing itself for the greater cause.

gallery_41188_9_247915.jpg

gallery_41188_9_26925.jpg

gallery_41188_9_62327.jpg

gallery_41188_9_99182.jpg

watch_art

I GOT A LATHE! I GOT A LATHE! My dad is letting my "borrow" his old wood lathe. He hasn't used it since 1969, but whatever. It's got the big fat threaded thing on the left side and a pointy center thing on the tail stock. I'll get pictures up soon.

nava1uni

The threaded end is called the head stock, the opposite side is called the tail stock. The pointed piece is the tail stock is a center drive. Even though you have read all of the tutorials I think you will need to do a lot of practicing. Have you worked on a wood lathe before? I have been turning for a little over 4 years and it has taken that long to really understand, at least for me, the nuances of the wood, the tools and turning. I think that learning each skill well is a requirement for doing precision work. Good luck and please post pictures.

watch_art

Thanks - the vocab was just not coming to me late last night. It was a LOOOOOOONG day (one of the inlaws).

I totally plan on doing a LOT of practicing.
Never worked on a lathe before. But I've turned down very small parts chucked in my drill using sandpaper. Not the same at all, I know. :tongue:

And I will definitely post pictures.

SDB777

Don't forget, there are plenty of us 'turners' here locally....

Feel free to stop by(as long as I'm home), and I'll give you the 'low-down', 'quicky version', of the turning basics! It might be a little drive, but the 'seeing' will pay for itself!!

Scott (directions on my website) B

McBryde

I might be a little closer than Scott if you are out galavanting all over the state. I'm up in Morrilton. You're free to swing by here and we can play on the lathe as well. I just might have to clean the garage a little more, LOL. Shoot me a pm if you are interested in swinging by sometime. We have a central AR meeting on the 18th of February, you should show up for it.

Emerson

Top Bottom