Abalone blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I have several abalone blanks to make for fall shows and wondered what type of kits to use for the Sierra sizes. I have used the Sierra Vista kits in the past but wanted to use a premium Sierra style if the kit would compensate for the thickness of the abalone shell attached to the tube.

Anyone used something like an elegant Sierra with abalone and not fretted about getting the body too thin?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have used the Majestic squire and also the Sierra elegant beauty.

No problems. These kits to me have that ever so slightly curve to them that follows the kit form just like the sierra.

magpens

I have used the Elegant Sierra and the Sierra Elegant Beauty with Abalone successfully.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I would caution that not all abalone blanks are equal.

The ability to use a smaller diameter will rely on the "thin-ness" of the abalone material that has been applied to the tube. Personally, I would turn the blank down to the vista size, then look at the end to determine whether I can continue to the smaller size.

I recognize that, if I hit the abalone, it is NOT a defect of the blank--it is my responsibility at that point.

Yes, I have, personally turned MANY down to the size of the elegant sierra. Carefully.

jondavidj

Ed does what I do. I turn it down to Sierra Vista size. I have a bunch of Elegant Sierra's that I have done with abalone and Sierra Grips. You will be ok turning to the Sierra size. I know Ron Robbins has posted quite a few of them in our Facebook groups. When you get down to the Sierra size just be careful and take it slow. I turned a Sierra one yesterday.

Hope this helps!

beck3906

Thanks for everyone's response. I got gutsy yesterday and turned one to the Sierra size. Went well so I'll work on the others I have.

There's always that pucker factor when taking something like this down this low.

edstreet

The name Sierra is trademarked by Berea but for legal purposes lets ignore that and call these 'TYPES' or 'CLASS'.

Currently there are about 12 different pen kits that will fit the Sierra class of pens. By 'fit' I am meaning the tube length is the same and the OD tube diameter is the exact same, i.e. 100% compatible.

If you look at the 'near' compatible by expanding your horizon to include various kits that you have to modify the tube you can easily add a good 6+ or so to that growing list. i.e. pensar needs the tubes cut in half.

As for blanks being to thick for the kit they were designed to go on that would be a design flaw and a serious issue with the blank maker. This is something you can (and SHOULD) easily look at and spot the problems before turning by inspecting the ends of the tubes.

Top Bottom