Abalone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fussewc

Has anyone ever used abalone to make a pen? I was at my first market yesterday and a guy wanted to know if I could make a pen from abalone shell. No experience with abalone. Is it thick enough? Since it is shell can it be drilled for a pen tube?
Thanks in advance if you know anything.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

Here is one source of Abalone that can be used for pen making. http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Inlays-Trim-Bands/Abalone-Shell-Inlay-Strips-2x-Large The sheets are large enough to use for any pen kit and the have an adhesive one the back which allows you to stick them to the tubes. You can either cut them into thin strips as show on the previous post of if you're gutsy enough, use the heat gun to wrap the tube in one piece. Either way, you will need to cast the blanks in PR to secrure the Abalone into place and protect it when used as a daily pen. I hope this helps.

p.s. I've dealt with these folks for several years and they are terrific to do business with.

Jim Smith

fussewc

Thanks, guys. It is as I suspected. I will wait to see if the fellow shows up as he said with some abalone for me to experiment with.
Many thanks for the suggestions.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
If you decide to do anything with it be careful. Dust from abalone is extremely toxic. A friend of mine almost died from it.

dexter0606

Here is one source of Abalone that can be used for pen making. http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...trips-2x-Large The sheets are large enough to use for any pen kit and the have an adhesive one the back which allows you to stick them to the tubes. You can either cut them into thin strips as show on the previous post of if you're gutsy enough, use the heat gun to wrap the tube in one piece. Either way, you will need to cast the blanks in PR to secrure the Abalone into place and protect it when used as a daily pen. I hope this helps.

p.s. I've dealt with these folks for several years and they are terrific to do business with.

Jim Smith

Jim
Thanks for the link. I think I may just give this a try!

Top Bottom