AAW in Kansas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I am wondering if there were any pen turners at the AAW in Kansas? I am deeply interested in attending a convention that features some aspect of pens and pen turning, along with a gallery of work, I need to meet others with the same need to make pens!!

I plan on attending the 2006 AAW convention in Louisville Ky...and putting some of my work in the instant gallery, maybe some of you have done that? I am interested in feedback and comments from those of you who have been to AAW conventions and your insights as to how pen turning is treated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Jim, this is Fred in NC, I was at the WC chat last night.

It is my impression that, at this time, both AAW and the WC turning forum are mostly about bowls, hollow forms, and other non-functional turnings. When pens were mentioned last night the reaction, in my take, was less than favorable, especially about having pens in the instant gallery. I would like to see their reaction to a nicely turned and artistic table leg! [:D]

As far as next years symposium, I am planning to attend, and this will be my first. This year's plans were ruined by my employer's insistence in postponing my retirement.

I look forward to meeting you and other turners from this group.

I intend to have a few turnings for the instant gallery. If you are guessing that none of them will be bowls you are totally correct. I will have pens and other, to them, unusual items. At least one will be donated for the auction.

Hi Fred,

Okay then it'l be at least the two of us then. I look forward to meeting you myself.

I am seriously thinking of putting together a course out line like the one I have with Lee Valley as a demo, on advanced pen turning...and sending it into the AAW. It's a form of functional art to me and really it needs some respect. We are lucky to have this forum here for our pens, I love that. I also feel though on places like WOW and WC that pens are accepted, but with not the same respect as the common average bowl and platter turning. I respect that all aspects of bowl type turnings with great forms are indeed a highly aquired skill and developed with a trained eye, that indeed they are a beauty to be hold, but I feel the same for some aspects of pen turning as well.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I am an AAW member and proud of it... unfortunately it seems that they don't take penmaking, stopper making and similar items seriously...
I do make bowls also, but unfortunately not to the artistic style they seem to like... in fact I actually make more funnels than bowls.. [V] ... but it like pens it is a learning process.
I posted a couple of pics of stoppers and pens on the AAW forum and was lucky if 1-2 people commented.. in some cases no one commented... I find that kind of rude... I believe that my work is good. I take my time to produce a quality product... It may not be as artistic as some and definately not in the same venue of some of the hollow forms and bowls presented, but I feel it is some of my better work...
I will continue to support the AAW, because they do good things for the craft... and if I can make it to St Louis next year, I will be bringing some of my work for the instant gallery and an auction piece...
So it looks like 3 of us so far...

alamocdc

Make it four, but I'll be way out of my league. [:I] I'm just looking forward to learning what I can and meeting some of you folks. But I too will probably bring a little something along for the gallery and auction.

lkorn

OK, Here's my take on it... I WAS there in KC, and had a terrific time. there were workshops of various kinds, the only "Functional" one was for the kids making Spin Tops and other toys with Bonnie Klein instruction all weekend. MOst of the workshops tried to demonstrate various turning techniques that would allow us to upgrade our turning skills and abilities. Apparently the direction of the AAW is to elevate the craft from functional, to "Art". "Art" brings higher prices and more respect from the outside world. There is no glory in a salad bowl or rolling pin.

There is an annual penturners event at the Utah Symposium, but as I understand it (I wasn't there) even it is a one day event.

Maybe its time to approach the AAW Board and suggest a return to basics event. Don't forget that only a small peercentage of penmaking time is spent with turning tools. It is elementary spindle turning at best.

Just my opinion, not looking for a fight[:eek:)]

Scott

Hi Jim,

There is definitely a snob factor going on at the AAW. It has been hard to get any recognition of penturning as woodturning there. But we are making advances.

I did get my one big article in the American Woodturner (the AAW Journal) on penturning, and Angelo also got his article in there. Angelo is an awesome penturner, and is one of the AAW directors! If good articles on penturning come to the American Woodturner, they will publish them. The AAW Board recognizes penturning as an important part of woodturning. They even agreed to allow this group, Penturners.org (or the IAP) to become their first "virtual" chapter of the AAW! So while there is still some resistance to pens being thought of on the same level as bowls or hollowforms, at least the officials of the organization are willing to try to bring penturners into the fold!

The pen display put together for the Provo Symposium has been to the AAW Symposium for the two years previous to this, and was in the instant gallery. Emory McLaughlin was one of the demonstrators at the AAW last year turning pens. Kip Christensen, author of one of the best books on penturning, is one of the regional editors of the AAW Journal, and one of the finest turners in North America! We have been making some headway in advancing the art of penturning within the AAW!

And if money is the criteria, I would think that only at the highest end does artistic bowlturning exceed the money that can be made by penturninrs. I can sell pens from $35 to $150, and in the time it takes one of the "Masters" to produce one of their best pieces, I could turn ten or twenty, maybe even fifty pens. It would take a pretty special piece to exceed the money received by selling that many pens!

But fortunately, money isn't the only criteria. Artistic ability is also in there. But spend even a few minutes in our picture gallery, and tell me that we don't have artistic ability! I think we've all seen pens that artistically rival any of the finer works by the recognized names in woodturing.

So why does the AAW look down on penturning? Maybe it's not exclusive enough. You don't need a big fancy lathe to turn pens, or the best of tools. The materials are definitely less expensive. I don't know! But I do think that if most woodturners were honest about turning, they would incorporate pens into their turning retinue!

OK, so I'm preaching to the chior here! [:)] But those of us who are AAW members should strive to keep putting pens in front of the AAW membership, both through articles in the magazine, and at the Symposium. I encourage you to go to the AAW Symposium, and enter pens in the instant gallery. Request demonstrations on penturning, or better yet, offer to be a demonstrator on penturning! And write those articles for the American Woodturner - I'll introduce you to the Editor!

Just my humble opinon (Yeah right! Humble!) [:D]

Scott.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
There may not have been any pen turners among the demonstrators at the AAW Symposium, but I guarantee there were a lot of them among the members in attendance.

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />There may not have been any pen turners among the demonstrators at the AAW Symposium, but I guarantee there were a lot of them among the members in attendance.

Hi Russ,

Do you think it would have ANY interest if I tried to put in a demo on advanced methods?

Honest response I can take it..:)

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
You will never know if you don't send it in.

There have been pen demonstrations in the past, and there will be proposals for more of them in the future. One day they will accept another.

Don't expect to see bottle stoppers or Christmas ornaments. The Symposium wore out those topics years ago.

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />You will never know if you don't send it in.

There have been pen demonstrations in the past, and there will be proposals for more of them in the future. One day they will accept another.

Don't expect to see bottle stoppers or Christmas ornaments. The Symposium wore out those topics years ago.

Thanks Russ,

You've got me moving now to do something about this....

Thanks!!![:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom