AAW Board of Directors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

A couple of recent threads discussed the AAW and prnturning. As most of you know penturning has traditionally been treated as second class turning by the woodturning community as well as by the AAW...or at least that has been my perception.

Angelo Iafrate is the past president but a new leader is now in office. Angelo is an excellent penturner and was supportative of penturning. Carl Voss was the editor of the AAW publication American Woodturner. Carl and I have visited a few times regarding the AAW and penturning. But a new editor is now in office.

Kurt Hertzog ran for the AAW board last year and came up short of enough votes to gain a seat. Kurt is an excellent woodturner and pen turner. Kurt teaches classes at several venues in the NY area and he also writes a penturning/penmaking column which appears in each issue of Woodturning Design. Kurt has also written several articles that were published in the American Woodturner.

Kurt has demonstrated at both the Utah and the AAW woodturning symposiums just to metion a couple of the bigger ones. I've worked with Kurt in organizing the penturners rendezvous we have each year prior to the Utah symposium. Kurt is knowledgeable of woodturning, of others in the woodturning community, is a hard worker and likes to get things done and do them right.

Kurt will, in my opinion, make an excellent AAW board member and will be a champion for penturners and what we are doing.

I say all of that to say this: Vote for Kurt Hertzog in the upcoming AAW board election. Check out Kurt and what he does re:woodturning at his website: http://www.kurthertzog.com/ From what I understand voting will be by paper ballots this year, not online as in the past. So, if you are a member use your voting packet when it arrives and vote for who you think will best represent penturning on the AAW board. I think the best choice will be Kurt Hertzog.

Thanks for your time and...
Do a good turn (and vote) daily!
Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

Having heard Kurt speak and interacted with him at the past two Utah Woodturning Symposiums I would agree with Don. I have learned a lot about pen turning and wood from Kurt. I would definitely encourage people to vote for him as an addition to the AAW board.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Kurt gave an excellent demo at our local AAW chapter, I was very impressed with his practical approach to achieving high quality turnings of all types with a focus on pens. I expect to vote for him.

stolicky

I agree.
I had the opportunity of meeting and assisting Kurt at the symposium we had in Saratoga (NY) this past March. He is definitely knowledgeable in wood turning and pen making, and actually had a custom dip pen on display. Remember, he is also a member of the pen maker's guild.

Daniel

I would like to add an observation. I am not claiming that Angelo was the sole reason for the changes, But I did see a marked increase in the attention penturning got in publications and events after he was elected president of the AAW. It is also during that time that I remember many changes taking place in what the suppliers offer. I actually think many factors took part in these changes, including this group. But having the right people in the right places makes a difference.
The attitued toward penturning is improving in the woodturning community, but it has not happened on it's own. This is just one more step in a long line of steps to keep that effort going.

KenV

Thanks Don -- Kurt has a good campain manager available in you should he want to acquire one- Waiting for my issue of American Woodturning to find it's way to Alaska -- and I agree with your recommendation.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The new Journal editor admits that she had very little awareness of pen, but in working with her on an article, I can say that she now has an appreciation for pens as an artform. There will be more articles in the future, but it will be up to us to send her the articles to publish. These things don't happen out of thin air.

There will be an article on clips in the next issue of the AAW Journal, and the Members Gallery page will have several pens, most of them from pen people you haven't seen in print before. While, the Board might not have a pen person on it, the Journal editor is sympathetic to our needs.

scotian12

Thank you Don for bring Kurt's AAW director candidacy to the forefront for our members to consider when they vote for a director for the board. I have known Kurt since 2004 in his capacity of promoting the pen display at the Utah Woodturners Symposium and the various AAW symposiums. His articles in Wodturning Design magazine are representative of his fine craftsmanship in penturning. I know he would be a strong voice for the advocacy of penturning. I would encourage AAW members of this group to look at Kurt's credentials for the directors position. Darrell Eisner

JimB

I had my first turning lesson from Kurt as he was the instructor for an all day class at Rockler in Buffalo. I place all responsibility for my addiction on him:). He was an outstanding instructor and, even though I had no wood working experience, helped me fit in with the more experienced people. I also emailed him several times before finding IAP and he guided me on some topics. He is a very dedicated turner and is always willing to help others. I hope he gets on The Board.

VisExp

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Don.

It may be a good opportunity for those folks who have been on the fence about the AAW to join so they can have a voice.

I must admit that on the club level, my woodturning club is an AAW Chapter, I have received nothing but encouragement with my penturning efforts. I have never been made to feel like a second class turner because I turn pens.

bruce119

I have had the honor of a visit from from Kurt. Very early in my pen turning venture heck I didn't even have a real lathe. I was using a lathe ran by a drill in a clamp. I had just got my metal lathe and it was still on the table in the box. I made contact with Kurt through the Yahoo group even before I came here. He was going to be in Florida near me and offered to visit. This is before I even new who he was. What a great guy he spent a couple hours with me brought me gifts showed me techniques and different ways of doing things. He opened my mind to new stuff he is probably the one who first inspired me to be as creative as I am today. I basically got a privet home demo and didn't even know it at the time.

My vote is for Kurt he is a great guy.

Thanks Kurt for inspiring me.
Bruce

its_virgil

Bump!
My copy of American Woodturner came today so I assume they will be arriving at most mailboxes during the next few days. Read the bios of the candidates and vote for the one that you think best qualified. Personally, I think we need someone who would be a "pen friendly" member and best represent our interests as much as possible from as a board member.
Thanks and .....
Do a good turn daily!
Don

KenV

Posted my ballot at the post office yesterday -- I did my part -

In fairness, all the candidates look like good people -- quite a range of experiences.

bruce119

I got my magazine. The membership renewal is on the cover. But I don't see a ballot for voting. Is it in the magazine I just breezed through didn't have time to really look yet. Or will the ballot come mailed separately.

its_virgil

...and there is a deadline...so check check when the voting window closes. From what I understand there only a fsmall number of members vote...in comparison to the 15,000 members...so, votes from the penturning community could have an impact on who is elected. Read the bios then:
Vote for Kurt!

Do a good turn daily!
Don

My ballot was in the magazine.

Top Bottom