Aargh! Jr. Statesman not closing right

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Katya

Hi all,
I've made a good number of the Jr. series of pens (my favourite). But this prize pen I just made doesn't close properly! The pen cap screws onto the threads of the nib, but it closes "softly" and I can still see a tiny portion of the nib ring under the centerband.

Does this make sense to you? Why won't it close completely? The turning, finishing, etc. all went well and otherwise the pen is fine. Any help?
Thanks
Katya

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

I am not sure what you mean by softly. But there are a number of reasons this may be happening

Your cap may be too short. If you had to ream a lot of material off your blank to get a flush surface, the rollerball tip might be bumping up against the top of the inside of the cap. If this pen is a fountain... the wrecked nib would be the only clue you'd need

The most likely case is that the female or male threads (or possibly both) are bad. This may have happened at the factory, the mail, or your workshop, who knows. But if the threads won't mesh, the pen won't close.

Some pictures might also be helpful

Katya

I'm pretty certain that I didn't shorten the cap tube- had no issues there. And I should have said- it's a rollerball. I'll see about adding a pic or two. Is there no point in trying to "clean up" the threads? Don't want to ruin the pen at this point (!) but it bugs me that the pen has some extra hardware showing.
Thanks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One thing that you should realize: You had to unscrew the nib from the black plastic piece when you took the components out of the bag. So, they fit together when you got them---that's why the manufacturers have gone to this "pre-assembled" packaging.

So, to everyone--pay attention when you take them out of the bag.
If they mesh nicely, and screw in properly--you know that is not the problem.
If they don't---return them to the vendor from whom you purchased, or attempt to "repair". Once you attempt to repair, the manufacturer will not make any adjustments, although most of the resellers will.

FWIW,
Ed

PenMan1

This has been a continuing problem for Dayacom for years. Look at the black plastic threads inside the centerband. The symptoms you describe are in line with the threads being defective.

If you have another Statie set, try screwing another centerband and thread adapter to the existing thread section. If it has the same issues without the cap tube in place, it's the thread adapter.

The GOOD NEWS is that CSUSA is VERY AWARE of this ongoing problem. If you bought the hardware from them, they'll send you the free replacement part.

Randy Simmons

as far as I know, pretty much any jr. series threads will work, right??

I know the gent will, and the jr retro?

Just a thought.

SteveG

Just a caution if you try substituting with another set. If you feel the SLIGHTEST resistance prior to getting the cap seated, stop! You have found a problem, but you want to avoid messing up a second set of threads. This could happen if the metal threads are defective in the first pen...you could end up "chasing" in the defect, and end up with two sets of defective threads. Go gentle.

NotURMailman

How bad out of tolerance are these bad threads?

If they're not too bad, and you don't want to replace the piece, couldn't you use some lapping compound on the threads and "work them in"?

Just a thought...

Top Bottom