AAARRGG!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

:mad: I'm trying to make one of those over under shotgun kits from woodturningz, and had the bright idea of using solid red INLACE ACRYLISTER for the cap! It turns out that the cap has enough meat on it to CA finish the bare brass tube once and be done... Inlace + micro thin = PROBLEMS!!! It's aggravating, but at least I still have a tube I can try again with. Thank you for letting me vent, and don't try inlace on this kit!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Inlace can be tough, especially when turned very thin. Glue coverage becomes critical. If there is even the slightest hint of a bare patch (frequently caused when sliding in the tube and the blank scrapes away some of the glue), it likes to explode.

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Maybe a tru-stone material in red would work. With the IAP Bash and discount being offered it's not much more in cost. The colors with the swirls would be amazing IMHO. I like the bloody red, not sure of the rest of the name, it looks really nice. I put it on a razor handle. Thought it was fitting for the application! :eek:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The AA series is not a brittle acrylic, but use whatever you prefer.

Inlace is polyester, AA is commercially-produced acrylic. BIG difference.

maxman400

I used Red Alumilite which is very forgiving even when thin but be sure to back paint.

Attachments

• Over and Under_721x600.jpg
    Over and Under_721x600.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 155

Joe S.

The AA series is not a brittle acrylic, but use whatever you prefer.

Inlace is polyester, AA is commercially-produced acrylic. BIG difference.

I know, AA is what I'm planning on using next, I was referring to the metelic series resins being brittle. I'm a little disappointed though, that IA was the perfect shade of red, I'll need to try it again when I'm a little more skilled. Or try again now with the other half of the blank........... I think I'm crazy.

Joe S.

Victory! One helpful tip is re-hone your skew for the last few cuts. Thanks for the motivation mike! I'll have the pen on SOYP once the camera is finished charging. Below is a picture of how crazy thin this kit is, it's pretty much a large slimline that needs a perfectly straight line!

Attachments

• image-1675412418.jpg
    image-1675412418.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 86
Top Bottom