Aaaarrrrggggggghhh! This pen kicked my ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

underdog

Well I went happily out to my shop this afternoon, intent on turning a pen or two and definitely some ornaments....

Well I never really got much of a finish on this and didn't do a darn thing else (unless you count unloading my table saw).

This pen whupped my.... uumm-hhmm...

2006112641536_Presidential%20006.jpg

I learned several things doing this pen...

1) Don't use a soft wood like Alder unless you're going to encase it in plastic... It dents and tears out too easily.
2) If the wood is figured and soft, the drill and barrel trimmer are going to tear out the end grain, so something (what?) has to be done to solve this problem.
3) If you have tearout, then CA glue and coffee make great end bands to disguise the fact that you suck at pen turning....
4) If the instructions specifically say to push the transmission 1/4 past the indentation, but to check the depth before pushing it in in all the way, then check the depth incrementally before pushing it to the mark.
5) If you push the transmission too far then the plastic threads on the refill aren't strong enough to push it back out... no matter how good an idea it was...
6) If you're going to use CA and coffee as end bands then you'll have to use CA as a finish.
7) If you have tearout and need to fill the gaps, then thin CA isn't the way to go. It takes forever to build up a decent coat.
8) Use medium or thick CA for finish coat. A thin coat sands away quite quickly. Most of the gaps are finally filled, but I see bare wood now that I'm back in the house. I sure do like lacquer...
9) If a pen is kicking your **** this bad, it's time to do something else. It took me 6 hours to get this thing this far.

Bleah. I'm going to turn ornaments tomorrow...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
if your like me, you have more than one mandrel and can move on to the next, then go back. i have found that if you walk away and come back, you will get through it. i worked on a cigar/buckeye burl/inlay/CA finish for 2 days.[^]

nice pen

laurie

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
NIce recovery.

I will echo the benifit of having more than one pen in progress at the same time and also having more than one mandrel set up.
Alder is a type of Birch IIRC. Ovation instruments used to use it for one of their their solid body guitars.They also used Maple, walnut and mahogany.Guitars take a beating.
There are much softer woods to work with. Holly,sapen come to mind.
For milling soft woods with the trimmer,once you are close paint a little thin ca on the end grain before milling flush.
I have found that if I am getting tear out while turning,I will find it long before I get close to final dimension.
At this point I harden the wood with thin Ca.I don't use a gouge, they named it just that for a reason when it comes to me.I use a skew, I sharpen on a diamond stone.I rarely get tear out.
This may be beginners luck but since I Started turning pens over two years ago the skew was the only tool I scould sharpen one handed while turning the handle on a hand cranked grinding wheel.
I have since added an HF wet dry grinder and a belt sander.The diamond stone gives me the best results.
I have all three viscosities of CA plus a tube of gel at all times.I rarely use medium and use thin the most while turning.If you find yourself sandin through the thin too easily I would try using a lighter touch and a foam pad behind whatever abrasive you are using.
My take for what it is worth.

TBone

Jim, don't despair. You are not alone. I'm betting, like others have said, you'll be back for more tomorrow. These "butt kicking" episodes are where you learn.

underdog

Dang.. my character just jumped five levels then...[:D]

And no I didn't turn pens today, I turned some birdhouse ornaments instead... And like to froze me fanny off too. I was ok til the sun went down, then the T-shirt wasn't enough to keep me warm. But I was too stubborn to go in a get a shirt.. Hadda get something done!

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to remember to CA glue the ends as I endmill so I don't get tearout too.

Russ Fairfield says to use 600 grit on the CA glue. I'll bet that's why I had problems. I dropped down to 320/400 and then I used my 1800 MM. I don't have any 600. So I'll bet the 320 and 400 are too coarse and that's why the CA didn't stay.

I did use up about 1/4 of a 1 oz bottle though...[B)]

I think I'll also pull the clip off, and the refill and finish this with some lacquer.

GBusardo

Jim, I feel your pain. I got an order for a crosscut ceder Jr Gent Friday night. It took 6 times before I could get both barrels turned without it either tearing out or blowing up. [:(!] Thank goodness I had plenty of that wood. I will never ever turn a ceder pen under pressure of a sale, until next time of course! Good job on the black bands, really adds to the pen!

tnilmerl

You sure you never been in my shop? Sounds like me on an average day.[:)]. Been there, doing that. I've feel your pain and frustration. I've done everything you've done, except for the coffee grounds. That's a new on on me. I usually use antler or some other cutoff to fill in my tear-outs on the end of the tube.

But just think of the satisfaction you got from fixing your gaffs. Looks like you 'turned' out a better pen for all your troubles too.[:)]

Thanks for the note. I'm sure everyone here has felt and expereinced the same and enjoyed your note.

underdog

Thanks for the input folks. I seem to have recovered from that traumatic event...

I still haven't put any finish on the pen, or the two ornaments I turned the next night, but here's what the ornaments look like:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19499

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom