90 degree Bocote pen Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

avbill

I have bought 2 90 degree angle Bocote pen blanks. I am having a difficult time as I have blown out both blanks. The first time I was aggressive in my cuts yet the second time I sharpen the cutting tools and took light cuts. Is this wood delicate to work with in the 90 degree cut form or do I need to practice more on easier woods before trying this wood again? Any comments would be helpful. Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

those cross cut pieces are always more delicate to turn. since there's more grain lines that your tool comes in contact with, there's a greater chance for the wood to split when stressed along those lines.

just keep practicing and taking light cuts. perhaps try adjusting the angle of attack with your tool to limit the edges from catching.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Av, you might also try soaking the blank in thin CA, turning a bit, and reapplying the CA. This gives a bit of stabilization. Also, turn as fast as your lathe will go, using the traditional light touch, sharp tool.

bitshird

Originally posted by gwilki
<br />When turning cross cut blanks, try turning from the ends of the blank into the center. Don't turn off the ends.
I had a problem turning cross cut and bias cut Macca(sp) chipping out chunks at the ends, On super hard wood, that normally cut reasonably easy on a straight ripped blank eats you up on a cross cut, I agree cut from the middle to the ends.
Ken ferrell

fstepanski

Agree with all the above.. If your new to turning I would recommend starting with regular cut wood pen blanks.. In a normal pen blank the grain runs parallel to the blank so essentially have no end-grain to deal with. As you move into the bias cut and cross cut blanks end-grain starts to play, making the cuts difficult as you have unfortunately experienced.

Happy turnin’

ElMostro

I first cut off the corners of the blank on the bandsaw to make it "roundish". If I am not in a hurry I drill the blank and dip it in Minwax Woodhardener over night let dry for a day and then turn.

Eugene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom